UPD: GOEX production (real black powder) NEW INVESTOR : DOD

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I plan to shoot some loads using Goex and the home made stuff through a chronograph . I’ll need to put some space between the bore and the chronograph so I will not singe it !
I’d be real interested in results of test firing your homemade black. It’s one of those things many muzzle loaders think of,time to time. PM anytime would be welcome.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

snuffy

Anybody know when the powder will be available.

FIRESNC

I have 3 unopened cans of fffg elephant black powder. The date is 1994,been kept in the house. Just wondering if it would still be ok.Also have a unopened can of ffg GOEX,with a 2004 date.They sound ok when the cans are shaken.Dont sound like any clumps . WOULD THEY BE OK.

georgia_home

should be good. especially if airtight and not clumped.

I have 3 unopened cans of fffg elephant black powder. The date is 1994,been kept in the house. Just wondering if it would still be ok.Also have a unopened can of ffg GOEX,with a 2004 date.They sound ok when the cans are shaken.Dont sound like any clumps . WOULD THEY BE OK.

georgia_home

Update: Estes / GOEX has a new investor.

apparently, a lot of explody things use black powder. The kind of things DOD uses.

they’re investing 3.5m in the company.

rubicon_in_ga

A word of encouragement and caution about homemade blackpowder. I've been making my own for years in small batches, doing it the "right" way, with a ball mill, pressing into cakes and corning, then separating by grain size. I've used hardwood charcoal, softwood charcoal, commercial airfloat charcoal, all with varying results. I built a basic charcoal retort out of a new empty gallon paint can, and a piece of chimney flue reducer pipe, and so far the best results I've had for general purpose black powder has been using either kindling sized pieces of plain old building lumber (whitewood, spf), or believe it or not, untreated pine pet bedding. The pet bedding requires less reduction (breaking up) of the charcoal after it's done. I've shot many rounds in my percussion rifles and pistols using my homemade black powder (FFG and FFFG) and had more than a little fun making bottle rockets with the finer stuff. Ball milling is the dangerous part. PLEASE DO NOT attempt to make black powder without doing alot of research and taking the proper precautions first. More accidents have been had from the ball milling process than any other aspect of making black powder.

For sporting (hunting) and personal use homemade fireworks, the BATF has ruled that the average citizen IS allowed to make their own black powder for personal use, HOWEVER if you're using it in any competition where there is any form of monetary reward or prizes, you're now considered in the "business of manufacturing" and if you don't have the proper permits, you're committing a felony. Also, you cannot sell any homemade black powder to anyone else, for the same reason. They really don't play around with this stuff, (don't ask me how I know). Wouldn't hurt to also look into keeping all your black powder manufacturing stuff in a Type 4 Indoor Explosives magazine (or building one yourself), that way if there's ever any question of legality, you're still complying with the rules of explosive storage, even though technically you're not required to have it if you don't have an explosives permit.

Just be careful if you decide to get into making it. Know the laws, know the risks, know how to do it safely. It can be alot of fun shooting with your own powder, but it is dangerous to make.

georgia_home

update: two updates actually

the production facility for goex in louisiana is about ready to come online again. said they are doing dry runs with inert material to ensure things are mixing correctly.

also, a story in the war zone site that had this quote... there is a paywall on the article, but this quote give the idea i guess.

Yesterday, we wrote about the more than four million howitzer shells, rockets, mortars and other munitions the U.S. has provided Ukraine. Today, The Wall Street Journal took a deep dive into concerns about this nation's supply chain, especially with lingering problems from a 2021 explosion at a Louisiana factory that was "the sole domestic source of an explosive the Department of Defense relies on to produce bullets, mortar shells, artillery rounds and Tomahawk missiles."

"The ramshackle facility makes the original form of gunpowder, known today as black powder, a highly combustible material with hundreds of military applications," the newspaper reported. "The product, for which there is no substitute, is used in small quantities in munitions to ignite more powerful explosives."

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Has anyone been able to find any black powder ?

T, there used to be a shop in Phoenix City that sold Goex. Not sure if they still do or not. It was right next to the bridge. On the left as you head west out of Columbus.

georgia_home

T, there are a couple places on line, but they eat you up with HAZMAT. I tried to find a few people near me to split a case To average the cost down. Not enough folks interested when it actually gets down to spending the $$$

Forget the name of the place/web site offhand, last Time I looked, they had not recovered their stock of GOEX, they had shutzen in stock. Real BP, ?german?swiss? Something like that

also, called several of the places I had seen as authorized GOEX dealers, within A couple hours of me. they no longer carried it.

Has anyone been able to find any black powder ?

georgia_home

georgia_home