Hog Anatomy 101

Millyville Hunter

I do say this much in light to the subject. I am a hog hunting enthusiast all year long and always have an urge to hunt those huge wild boars. It the past I can say this about shot placement-with a rifle try to shot just behind or in the ear especially on a meat pig. There is no reason to sacrifice any of that tasty meat in any way. Now if you are not confident in your head shoting ability go for the lower shoulder cup. This will help you stray away from that horrible shoulder plate that can take a bullet any day of the week and hold massive amounts of blood. By shooting that lower area in a way kind of under the shoulder you will get great blood and get a great heart shot with some lung.
Archery-This is the difficult path to take because in most instances I have found that being eye level with the hog is best.When shooting for a stand it leaves very little room for error and the fat and tough skin skin grow strong up high. In most cases with the bow I take neck shots becasue you need good blood with the bow. I have only taken one hog with my bow that dropped him because I hit him square in the back bone.I choose the neck for multiple reasons.One being it is so large and has some very strong vitals in it. 2 the neck is usually presented more often than a good quartering away shot. and three is it drops awesome blood that hinders a pig ability to do anything. I shoot for the necks center just before the shoulder starts. The meat here is tender and skin toughness is low in this area.Clean pass throughs are not a problem and the will not tear up your arrow even if the neck bone it struck. Also this lets you have some relief of knowing you don't have to have a really hard shooting bow to penetrate deeply like you do when taking the broadside shot. Don't get me wrong the broadside shot will do it(i still take those shots in certain situations) but the equipment must be stout and willing to be lost.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hog

Hogs with archery. I've always used the heaviest arrow possible, and a fixed broadhead that cuts on impact. And always had complete pass thru's.

Thanks for posting this will prove very useful. I've hog hunted all my life with dogs and guns and never had a problem. Just took up archery though and have already lost one and now I know why.

j870sm

Bow hunting for hogs ROCK. I shoot 70lbs at 291/2" DL. I shot Slick Tricks but found the Grim Reapers razor cut mechanicals to be devastating. I won't tell you which is best, this seems to be more personal preference. Fixed VS. Mechanicals will always be debated I reckon.

Just 1 More

Bow hunting for hogs ROCK. I shoot 70lbs at 291/2" DL. I shot Slick Tricks but found the Grim Reapers razor cut mechanicals to be devastating. I won't tell you which is best, this seems to be more personal preference. Fixed VS. Mechanicals will always be debated I reckon.

Try Slick Tricks new RAZOR TRICKS ,, very nice cut on contact fixed blade

blaze

bow hunting is all i do from northern illinois to south fla. i have no problems with a lighter arrow i shoot a g5 motech 85 grain 300 arrow but you cant shoot them in the butt a expect the to drop take your time put the arrow where it needs to be

meandmydog

Hog Down

this hog was killed at 4:00 am saw his shadow in the full moon. Headed to the feeder.

Attachments

• roscos hog.jpg
    roscos hog.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 13,395

Prorain

How about a 338 mag with a 250 grain projectile?Naw I'll stick with my butter knife!

xydial

Of course a 223 will down a hog. I have killed over 50 in the past four years with a 223. Not a single one moved after being hit, including two over 300 lbs.

It about shot placement, not the caliber.