Hog Bait

UWGduck

What is the best thing to use to get a hog to use an area? I.E Bait? We are going to run the dogs in Feb on my club and we want to be sure they are using the area. Also what is the best thing to put in a hog trap? i know corn works but is there anything better?

Chuck Martin

I've got a buddie in Texas that swears by the following reciep.Take corn and fill a 5 gallon bucket half full then fill the bucket the rest of the way with the cheapest nasties beer that you can find put a lid on it and let it set for a week or so. Then go pour it out in a hole where you've scene signs and they'll come for miles around to that sour mess. I warn you don't let any slosh on you when you pour it out cause it's a mite ripe, but it'll draw them in.

stumpman

Banned
Meed and chucks recipes are about the best. I don't use beer but that would work. all you want to do is sour the corn so they will smell it. Peanut butter works great also. The trap just run a little trail of corn in the trap and pour a pile around the door release. Good luck!

Chuck Martin

I forgot If you'll leave the trap open so it won't spring for the first couple of visits you'll get several groups coming to it and won't spook them all off too soon. If you set it so it'll spring the first time they come in you'll run a few off.

Stumpy.........you use that nasty beer and it'll sour up REEEAAAALLLL good and last alot longer that other liquids

dog1

I have always just soaked the corn in water with some salt. When the corn soaks up the water (5 gal bucket) fill again and keep it siting in the sun for a few days. You'll actually see it start to work off (souring). You'll only have to pour half of it on the ground, then go back the next day and pour out some more. They'll smell it time you pour it out the second time. Then get ready.

dog1

FootLongDawg

If you have the hogs there, just PLAIN OLE CORN. These and many others came to just that :shoot:

Attachments

• Dsc00059.jpg
    Dsc00059.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 577

Arrow Flinger

FERAL HOG
Private Lands

No closed season; no limit. No hunting over bait, from a vehicle, or at night with a light over 6 volts. A resident Hunting License is required to hunt feral hogs for all resident hunters 16 years old or older, except when hunting on land owned by them or their immediate family (blood or dependent relationship) residing in the same household. Non-residents must meet non-resident license requirements.

Chuck Martin

Flinger do bring up a good point about the "B" word. You can use it to draw them to a trap........thats legal. You can use it to draw as long as it's gone 10 days prior if'n you intend to hunt over the wallow hole its gonna produce......thats legal. You can use it to draw to an area when you run'em with dogs ......as long as your 200 yards away....thats legal. And you can do it in other states where its legal.

Just remember........be legal :clap:

bubbafowler

Kool Aide

Pour a couple packs of grape koolaide in with your corn. Souring the corn can, and will, kill animals. koolaide wont, but works just as well as far as i can tell. Basically all adding the scents does is let the hogs know the corn is there.