Hog disposal on public land

Gl4di4torRr

So I am not very interested in eating feral hog. The risk of disease has deterred me away. I enjoy hog hunting and I know it's good for the local farmers to take them out. Can you donate feral hog? Does public land usually have a disposal area if not?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If you are close to me and it’s cold weather you can donate it to me , just kidding but if I was gonna kill it especially on public land I’d find someone that would eat it . And if you are hunting public land and kill one and don’t want it leave it laying where it falls .
Just curious what are you afraid of ? I’ve literally ate hundreds in my lifetime and everyone I’ve grown up hunting around has also . Probably the best wild meat out there . But I’m afraid of pretty much any meat that comes out of a grocery store that I don’t know where it came from or been .

Gl4di4torRr

If you are close to me and it’s cold weather you can donate it to me , just kidding but if I was gonna kill it especially on public land I’d find someone that would eat it . And if you are hunting public land and kill one and don’t want it leave it laying where it falls .
Just curious what are you afraid of ? I’ve literally ate hundreds in my lifetime and everyone I’ve grown up hunting around has also . Probably the best wild meat out there . But I’m afraid of pretty much any meat that comes out of a grocery store that I don’t know where it came from or been .
It's really more the wife than me. But I still want to hunt hog.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Cut up some chops, lay them next to store bought and see which look better. My wife loves chops so much she finally gave wild ones a try and had to admit how awesome they were! Venison too, but she is still kinda mad about that one:cool:

I’m in pretty much the same camp as you, cept my son and I love to eat it all! Other than that, what Ant said^^^
Keep it out of any water source, even a ditch if you can help it, but basically leave it lay.
I hunt public land and pack out using the gutless method. I leave the carcass where it’s at and only take what I want. You could easily just unzip a pig and take the back straps and cut those chops up…….I wouldn’t be upset about it and you enjoy it!

DAVE

Leave it laying where it falls, plenty other creatures can use an easy meal. I have killed plenty of wild pigs and processed a few but most I left laying. I too eat pork but with the understanding that they are nasty animals that carry plenty of disease.

Gator89

Cleaning any animal carries some risk of disease if you cut yourself and get blood or other stuff in the wound. Friend of mine's son in law got a blood infection from cleaning a deer with a cut finger last September.

Hogs wallow in mud to find relief from insects and to cool off. Yes they will eat carrion, but so will chickens. Swine may also carry brucellosis which can be transmitted to humans through the blood.

I have seen turkeys pecking in the manure the dairy farmers spread on their crop fields.

Critters find ways to survive.

Kdog

Good luck trying to give them away…you will get plenty of folks “wanting them” till it’s time for them to come get ‘em…
This! I did finally get one person to meet me to pick one up out of everyone that wanted one.

Last edited:

ucfireman

This is second hand info.
A buddy from work, his wife is from Scotland or Ireland (Im not sure) but she came here and gets sick eating store bought pork, She can and does eat wild pork and does not get sick.
Not sure what is causing her to get sick but probably some of the feed.
I would not have any issues eating a wild pig. I have not been fortunate enough to get one though. Videos of the gutless method look easy enough to do and you don't open the abdominal cavity so you should not be exposed to the brucellosis.

Mexican Squealer

This is second hand info.
A buddy from work, his wife is from Scotland or Ireland (Im not sure) but she came here and gets sick eating store bought pork, She can and does eat wild pork and does not get sick.
Not sure what is causing her to get sick but probably some of the feed.
I would not have any issues eating a wild pig. I have not been fortunate enough to get one though. Videos of the gutless method look easy enough to do and you don't open the abdominal cavity so you should not be exposed to the brucellosis.
Brucellosis is spread from the meat being undercooked as well as getting junk from the genitals on you

bany

And my wife is really starting to have a problem with the store bought pork.
I won’t say it can’t hurt ya but we’ve eaten plenty also.

bany

The scavengers need to eat too if you can stand to let it lay.

frankwright

I killed about a 160 lb pig right at dark. I was alone and a good ways from the road.
I did the gutless skinning method and managed to get it packed out without a heat stroke.
The boar had nice tusks and I wanted to go back in a few days and get the head.
It was five days later and I only found a wet spot. No hair, head, bones or anything!
Nature will clean it up as long as you have a proper place to leave it.