Hog hunting on wma

HogKillaDNR

Anybody have any tips to offer on hunting public areas for hogs ?
I would recommend you to look for sign and watch the wind. Also, find those shaded places with a water source.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Are you able to hunt during quota hunts ?
Usually not. From page 42 of the 2022 regs:

"Small game and furbearer hunting are not allowed during quota hunts
unless otherwise noted in the specific area listing."

As for the "unless otherwise noted" part of that text, you will note that in some of the WMA-specific regulations, they specify that the quota hunt only applies to a specific area (dove fields, for example), so you might want to check if your selected WMA has any such exceptions.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What area of the state you looking at . Right now is a good time to get out and explore . Most all are open for small game season and you can shoot hogs .

Guitar Guy

The chances of randomly stumbling into them are fairly low. You need to find the "hotspots" where they are consistently feeding, wallowing, or bedding. Look for places that are tore up, not just pigs passing through. When I hunt a WMA for hogs, it's kind of a combination of scouting/hunting and ambush. Use early morning and just before dark to set up on the hotspots, but a wallow during a hot afternoon isn't a bad spot. Otherwise, I'm usually walking and scouting for new hotspots.

I find the hotspots by first looking at google earth or onX for areas that look promising, and then I test those theories out by getting boots on the ground. The hotspots I have found are probably 50% from pre-scouting on my computer, and the other 50% from just driving, walking, and randomly stumbling into good spots.

Having said that, I still haven't connected with a hog on public land, but while scouting a few weeks before season opener, I had one literally walk right by me so close I could have bent down and touched him. Sadly, it wasn't legal season yet, or that would have been a dead pig.

Bottom line, pick a promising WMA, research it, form theories, disprove or validate theories, drive a lot, walk a lot, form more theories, etc. It's a big puzzle, but if you stick to one or two WMAs and learn every inch, you'll find the hotspots. From there, you just need to be lucky enough to be on one of those hotspots when they come in during shooting light.

Good luck!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d try middle Ga . Ocmulgee , Oaky woods , Horse creek , Beaver dam and hunt the thicket’s close to the river . My favorite spots I’ve found over the years were persimmon trees in the swamp during archery season .

Cam126

I’d try middle Ga . Ocmulgee , Oaky woods , Horse creek , Beaver dam and hunt the thicket’s close to the river . My favorite spots I’ve found over the years were persimmon trees in the swamp during archery season .
Yea man they tear up the persimmons around here every year too .

sportsman94

Definitely find mast right now. Around some of the wmas Antharper mentioned I find pigs feeding in hardwood bottoms early season. Hickory nuts seem to be a favorite up until persimmons and acorns start dropping. A lot of time they’ll bed in very thick pines surrounding these bottoms during the day.

I killed these two on my lunch break last year slipping through a pine thicket above a hardwood bottom.

A5867774-5FD9-4028-A531-FD24FA6EEEA8.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yeah get after it! Can’t add much to any of this, cept spray your clothes with permethrin! Still watch out for ticks, chiggers etc….. thermacell might not be an additional option……I do both while it’s still hot and the bugs are out!

Pine thickets close to hardwood bottoms do seem to be a favorite spot and they’ll nest in there too! It’s really hot out there so keep than in mind! Mid state and southern WMAs would probably be best, but they are up here too for sure! I’d research the closest WMA, hen the next etc… And I love the idea of using an app like HuntStand(I use) or Onx etc.. and checking out tops beforehand.