Staff member
Been building a bacon fort!

23875597173_42aef54b5e_b.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have bacon envy.

bulldawgborn

Now that's just good ole fashioned fun. Especially the part you're gettin to now

jigman29

Do you use the pink salt in your bacon cure? I've read you need to if your gonna smoke it. I've only salt cured before so I never smoked it.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Do you use the pink salt in your bacon cure? I've read you need to if your gonna smoke it. I've only salt cured before so I never smoked it.

Yes, I ordered some Instacure #1 aka Prague powder #1. A little bit goes a long way. I bought a little package that said it would treat nearly 500lbs of meat.

whchunter

Great

Great thread and great pics.

Brought back many memories. My family and my Uncles would get together every year and have hog killings. We had a big vat that we could dip the whole hog and did use toe sacks as well. I remember they used special hand scrapers that seemed made for just that purpose.
The only thing we didn't use from the hog was the squeal. You name it we ate it. Anyone ready for some brains and eggs? :biggrin3:

The highlight for us kids were getting to eat pork skins and homemade biscuits with fresh pork tenderloin.

I also remember going to a cattle sale with my Uncle one morning and him bringing a jar of sausage in lard. At lunch he fished the patties out of the jar, wiped off the lard and put them on homemade sliced bread with mustard. The only thing he purchased was the two Original Cokes we drank to wash the lunch down. :biggrin3:

We had a big smokehouse where our meat was hung and salt boxes where meat was kept. We kept our canned goods in the spring house and used the spring house trough to cool watermelons that we ate after hauling hay.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Great thread and great pics.

Brought back many memories. My family and my Uncles would get together every year and have hog killings. We had a big vat that we could dip the whole hog and did use toe sacks as well. I remember they used special hand scrapers that seemed made for just that purpose.
The only thing we didn't use from the hog was the squeal. You name it we ate it. Anyone ready for some brains and eggs? :biggrin3:

The highlight for us kids were getting to eat pork skins and homemade biscuits with fresh pork tenderloin.

I also remember going to a cattle sale with my Uncle one morning and him bringing a jar of sausage in lard. At lunch he fished the patties out of the jar, wiped off the lard and put them on homemade sliced bread with mustard. The only thing he purchased was the two Original Cokes we drank to wash the lunch down. :biggrin3:

We had a big smokehouse where our meat was hung and salt boxes where meat was kept. We kept our canned goods in the spring house and used the spring house trough to cool watermelons that we ate after hauling hay.

It's like a feller told me the other day when we were talking about fresh sausage and country ham. He said, "Eathing that stuff will kill you. My grandaddy and granny ate it every day and it killed them. He died at 92 and she at 90."

There's parts of that way of life that I don't want to lose.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Enjoyed looking at the pics. Did yall make some cracklins?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
just asking but if you don't cure the hams would it not be easier to just skin it instead of scalding and scraping.

Yes, it would. We scalded one, and skinned the other. The only problem with skinning a hog like this, is you generally lose too much fat with the skin. It's nothing like skinning a deer. My mother in law values hog lard above gold. If all I wanted was the meat, I'd skin every one!

Enjoyed looking at the pics. Did yall make some cracklins?

No, we've found that when rendering lard, it's much easier to run the fat through the grinder first and then melt it down. It renders much faster this way, but the leftovers (what would normally be cracklins) is just mush. It looks like a pile of oatmeal.

Last edited:

leroy

Yes, it would. We scalded one, and skinned the other. The only problem with skinning a hog like this, is you generally lose to much fat with the skin. It's nothing like skinning a deer. My mother in law values hog lard above gold. If all I wanted was the meat, I'd skin every one!

makes sense, I grew up watching it myself and participating when older but we seldom dealt with the lard, cured a few hams to say we had, but we were all about the meat lol so when we switched to skinning and seen how much easier it was that's what we stuck with

Triple C

ngs...Great thread on a lost art. I grew up on a farm but we never raised pigs so I have no experience with the whole hog killing thing. Prolly never will but I sure enjoy following along on threads like this that show practices from an era about lost.

Good stuff!!! Thx for sharing!

jwillban

I used to think I was a real man. And then I saw this post. This is awesome, thanks for posting.