Hog Killing Day -- 2016

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
Hog Killing Day--2016

Brings back some good memories. Those hogs made purty carcasses. We used our syrup kettle to scald ours.

Not only do us swampers use croker sacks and always keep a few in the toolbox to put rattlers and possums in, we know how to spell it. :D

It's actually spelled Crocus; "Croker" was just our ancestors mispronunciation of it.

deermaster13

That is a lot of work but worth it. I will kill 7 hogs in a couple of weeks. My hogs weigh around 450 lbs a piece. I may post a few pictures also. I look forward to hog killing every year !

This good thread. Skiff post some pics of yours I know you done a few this weekend

bowbrown

Great thread. We try to do at least one a year up here. I really enjoy it. How do you like that sausage mix? I'm would like to find a good mix for sausage. I saved the head and just made my first batch of scrapple. It turned out great! Not hardly anyone does the butchering themselves up here anymore.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Legg's Old Plantation is the best sausage mix I've ever tried.

Anyone native to the Blairsville area that was born before the 21st century probably remembers Chamber's slaughterhouse and Chamber's sausage. I think I died a little inside when they went out of business. It was easily the best breakfast sausage on Earth. I've not been able to find a suitable replacement for it in nearly 20 years.

Until I found Legg's Old Plantation. Yeah, it's good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Legg's Old Plantation is the best sausage mix I've ever tried.

Anyone native to the Blairsville area that was born before the 21st century probably remembers Chamber's slaughterhouse and Chamber's sausage. I think I died a little inside when they went out of business. It was easily the best breakfast sausage on Earth. I've not been able to find a suitable replacement for it in nearly 20 years.

Until I found Legg's Old Plantation. Yeah, it's good.

x10,0000000000.