Hog scouting tips for Chattahoochee WMA?

Guitar Guy

Howdy. So I'm fairly new to hunting, and I plan to try my hand at nabbing a hog in the Chattahoochee WMA. I definitely want to take my time first, do plenty of scouting, and get comfortable with the area. I have familiarized myself with the on the ground signs I would look for that would indicate hog activity. What I'm curious about is how to narrow down the general areas that I will scout. Looking at maps of the Chattahoochee WMA, which is very dense with canopy, are there features I should look for in narrowing down the general areas to scout? I assume that in spring and summer, creeks would become more critical? How about now through March - any map features to narrow down scouting for winter hogs and avoid high hunter traffic areas? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

jbogg

I would check out some green clover plots, but due to the abundance of Red Oak acorns this year I would also hunt some Red Oak drains and ridges. Remember you will have to wait until Turkey season opens if you want to hunt them in March. Otherwise they are fair game from now until small game season closes at the end of February, as well as during the new two week hog hunt immediately following the close of turkey season.

bany

What jbogg said, and they love their greens.

Guitar Guy

Appreciate the input, guys. That all makes sense. New guy question here - I see that wildlife clearings are clearly marked on the WMA map. And many guys say, don't bother with those, because they are giant hunter magnets. These clover plots for instance - are these planted in those wildlife clearings that show up on the map, or are clover fields in separate areas? What I'm getting at is, is there a way to look at a map and identify likely food source areas? Just trying to do my homework before getting boots on the ground. Thanks for the help.

jbogg

The wildlife openings are usually shown on the WMA maps. The only way to really know what, if anything was planted is to go check them out and burn some boot leather. Don’t get too overly concerned with worrying about other hunters being on these plots. From my experience there are very few people chasing hogs in the mountains during late small game season.

Guitar Guy

The wildlife openings are usually shown on the WMA maps. The only way to really know what, if anything was planted is to go check them out and burn some boot leather. Don’t get too overly concerned with worrying about other hunters being on these plots. From my experience there are very few people chasing hogs in the mountains during late small game season.

Yup - I will check them out. Great input. Much appreciated.

crackerdave

It would be some rugged terrain...not many hunters,which is too bad.Hogs being hogs,they overpopulated and hog all the food.