Hog sleeping habits

Terminal Idiot

Hi everyone - curious if you have an opinion on the following.

We have a large swamp we duck hunt in that has tons of hog signs, trails, wallows, etc. all over the place. My curiosity is if hogs tend to return to the same spots to bed down day after day? Or if they just make a new place to sleep depending on where they finish up their running for the night.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great question , I’d say if undisturbed they probably bed in the general area. I know I found a big sow with a bunch of pigs once when it was cold that were bedded and I left them be and a couple days later they were bedded in the same spot

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Great question , I’d say if undisturbed they probably bed in the general area. I know I found a big sow with a bunch of pigs once when it was cold that were bedded and I left them be and a couple days later they were bedded in the same spot

A sow will make a bedding area for pigs. Nesting area like.

I’ve shot sleeping hogs before. A pack will sleep when done feeding in a area. They like the swamp thickets. Summertime they will sleep in a wet hole.
I shot a Hog feeding in a group once. Long shot. Seen them from a climber. Over 200. Hog dropped. Rest rambled. Couldn’t get a shot. Well kept hunting.
Got down quietly went to where Hog was down. Heard snoring ?
Got to looking and the rest bedded down there and was asleep. I woke them up making head shots. Hogs went everywhere. Spotted them sleeping in the woods also. Once while going to a stand. Seen movement. Look with binoculars it was a hogs ear. Guess a bug was biting it. Shot them.

They like bedding in a swamp I got. Like your duck hole.

Scallen

I shot a decent sized boar with a crossbow and had to follow his trail a ways. He went beck to his bedding spot in the middle of a clump of palmetto. He had a trough worn down in the shape of his body about as deep as he was. No way he made that in just one or two nights - he lived there.

furtaker

A sow will make a bedding area for pigs. Nesting area like.

I’ve shot sleeping hogs before. A pack will sleep when done feeding in a area. They like the swamp thickets. Summertime they will sleep in a wet hole.
I shot a Hog feeding in a group once. Long shot. Seen them from a climber. Over 200. Hog dropped. Rest rambled. Couldn’t get a shot. Well kept hunting.
Got down quietly went to where Hog was down. Heard snoring ?
Got to looking and the rest bedded down there and was asleep. I woke them up making head shots. Hogs went everywhere. Spotted them sleeping in the woods also. Once while going to a stand. Seen movement. Look with binoculars it was a hogs ear. Guess a bug was biting it. Shot them.

They like bedding in a swamp I got. Like your duck hole.
I walked up on a group of 2 sows and about 10 piglets bedded down one time. Opened fire on them and killed both sows and one little one. When the ruckus calmed down I looked at where they were laying. There was a bunch of dead grass that they had brought in that looked like hay. I assume the sows made a bed for the whole group.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I walked up on a group of 2 sows and about 10 piglets bedded down one time. Opened fire on them and killed both sows and one little one. When the ruckus calmed down I looked at where they were laying. There was a bunch of dead grass that they had brought in that looked like hay. I assume the sows made a bed for the whole group.
They did. We raised hogs as I was a kid. Grew corn. Oats in the winter. I have watched our sows as kids in these pens make nest so to speak for the pigs.
I was a hard working young man on a hog farm. Killed plenty of deer too.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Set up a couple weeks ago OTG C2450117-7087-4C65-AA53-A9E7B1BE307A.jpegC2450117-7087-4C65-AA53-A9E7B1BE307A.jpegin a new area. Looked to my left and a hog bed was close by.

Theturtle

BANNED
Me and my brother jumped a couple sows with piglets bedding in between two stump piles. It was the coldest morning that year22 degrees and windy they had a nice bed wallowed our big enough for all 10+ of them we opened up on them with a 30-30 and 12 gauge and both got two almost froze slap to death skinning them? from my experience if they find a spot they really like they usually want to stay

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I think they’ll scout for food, and change addresses from time to time, but they surely have long term places they live. Remember, they are ALWAYS somewhere out there in the woods. It would not be prudent for any animal to change where they live everyday or even once a week.
They may leave an area for a while when they get pushed out, but they always come back........always. I also think there are many places they will visit and maybe even camp out for a short time, but then go back home. That’s how or why we see “sign everywhere” but no hogs!