HOG TRAPS

sleepr71

Look up “Figure 6 hog trap” on YouTube. Get 3-4 horse panels & make that style trap. IMO it the best trap style, for the money & labor spent. After that...The Pig Brig system is my next recommendation. After
That comes the big Corral style
Traps,with drop/swing gates. They can even be controlled cellularly now($$$)! I absolutely would NOT use the small box style
Traps you can buy at Tractor Supply & such places. You miss & educate a lot of hogs with those!! These are my opinions,after dealing with them for about 15 years now. Good luck & do a little research first?

mossyoakpro

Look up “Figure 6 hog trap” on YouTube. Get 3-4 horse panels & make that style trap. IMO it the best trap style, for the money & labor spent. After that...The Pig Brig system is my next recommendation. After
That comes the big Corral style
Traps,with drop/swing gates. They can even be controlled cellularly now($$$)! I absolutely would NOT use the small box style
Traps you can buy at Tractor Supply & such places. You miss & educate a lot of hogs with those!! These are my opinions,after dealing with them for about 15 years now. Good luck & do a little research first?

Only 15 years? LOL Hogs are the absolute worst vermin known...even more than coyotes to me. I started using the corral style and have had good luck with them but like you said they become educated very quick if you don't get the whole group, so I'm investing in a Jager Pro system very soon. I shoot them at night with thermal to kinda thin the herd but nothing works like a trap in getting the most. I'm in the 60 range for the year and no relief in sight so the Jager Pro will be purchased in the coming weeks

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We shoot and trap. Took out over two hundred in about two years. Learned much about trapping. It's best to move the trap to a new location after catching some hogs. Lightly spray corn bait with diesel so the coons wont clean it up in one night. Change the bait smell. Sometimes I use old fish grease, sometimes a cheap corn syrup. Our large trap is made of one cattle panel with a drop door, trip notched stick in the middle caught on a stob. Small trap, same method, notched stick caught on a wire that goes across the trap. Small trap is easy to relocate, not so with the large one, but we've done it several times.

Attachments

• hogs .jpg
    hogs .jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Hog trap large.jpg
    Hog trap large.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 85
  • hog trap small.jpg
    hog trap small.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 83

sleepr71

They are $80/ea new. Money well spent IMO.. because they have 2“ x 4” openings which keep even the smallest hogs in and they are 5 feet tall… Which will keep 99% of hogs inside and keep them from jumping over! if I were starting from scratch… I’d look at the Jager pro panels they sell. They are a little over 5 feet tall and come with spacings set up specifically to catch wild hogs and not let any little ones get out. Another option is to buy the 36 inch hog panels, and overlap them together so that the 2 inch spacing goes up to 2’ high. If those little ones can ever get their head through an opening… They will get out! Then you’ve just educated hogs that will be breeding in eight months or sooner:hammers:

frankwright

All but six of these got out, apparently over the top. The big ones and the little ones were gone.
The six that remained were all 50-60 lbs as if that size couldn't get out.
They were going to run something around the top to make it higher.

Attachments

• Pigs in trap april 30 2021.jpg
    Pigs in trap april 30 2021.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 55

longrangedog

Is your trap round or does it have a right angle? If you have a right angle they'll pile up in the corner and climb over each other to get out. You'll be left with the unlucky ones. I've had a couple get a leg over my 46" tall wire and get out. I think with a 48"-50" panel you might have an occasional big one get over but you'd keep most of them in.

sleepr71

Go 5-6 ft high. The peace of mind when that 250lb Boar is popping his teeth at you & trying to get out/over/through that panel to kill you..it’s worth it?. I will never build another corral trap lower than 5ft...ever!

95g atl

The box type traps have worked good for me and it isnt hard to relocate. There are 14 in the trap in this picuture. I got them last week.View attachment 1095955

Have the same trap ^^^^ YUP they work.
Just moved it to another location yesterday and set it up today with some corn. Leaving ONE gate wide open and tied shut to get them use to it. Have the cell CAM facing it.
This will be the first time I have a cell cam on a trap. Plan to have a few of them so I don't have to waste time (or the long drive) to check an empty trap.