HOG TRAPS

HogKillaDNR

How much corn do you typically place in your traps? I spread a five gallon bucket of sour corn, so far. This is my first time trapping so its all a learning experience that I'm enjoying.

mossyoakpro

How much corn do you typically place in your traps? I spread a five gallon bucket of sour corn, so far. This is my first time trapping so its all a learning experience that I'm enjoying.

If you are using a large corral type trap, I set up a feeder and let it go off at regular intervals to get them used to the food source. When I'm ready to set it I put some in the very back to make sure I get as many of them as possible in the trap before it triggers.

HogKillaDNR

Would you try to trap in areas of old rooting?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Would you try to trap in areas of old rooting?
I’ve trapped a lot and I always baited them up in a likely area , trail , rooting , whatever that may be . After they find my feed I’d set trap and bait it for several days and let them get use to going in and out and then set it . Pretty simple , and if they haven’t been trapped they are usually pretty easy to catch . Some people say they get trap shy after seeing their buddies caught but I’ve personally caught the same hog 2 nights in a row in the same trap . We trapped them for meat back in the day before it was a crime to release one . If we caught more than we wanted to clean or one that was rank or pour we let them out .

rab1951

I usually put about 1/2 bag of corn (25lbs) or so in my traps. I dont sour it but I do put some grape kool aid powder on top of it or a mixture of chocolate syrup, cooking oil, imitation vanilla, and a box of choclate pudding to thicken it up some. Both the kool aid n choc mix have worked well for me.

95g atl

souring keeps the critters and deer away (most of the time).

We've caught stupid deer in our traps at the club. Idiot deer!

Can't wait until a stupid bear gets caught. That should be interesting on the release.