Hogs at Nite with Bow

BowArrow

Thought I would try hogs at nite my bow. I have them baited up on the Ogeechee River and they are hitting the corn hard. I am using corn in a bucket, in a post hole, in a feeder and scattered in the palmettos plus motor oil in a wallow. They pulled the first 5 gal. bucket up by the stake and rolled my bucket off in the palmettos to parts unknown. I put another bucket out and anchored it with a concrete block. This time they twisted the rope up to the concrete block and tore the bucket of of the wire handle. They also rolled this bucket off to parts unknown. I have a green light on my bow but have since read that red is better. Last night I got in my practice ladder stand in my back yard and tried to draw on some does but they departed as soon as I turned the light on. This experiment might not work, but it gives me something to do before deer season.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not sure how good it will work with a bow but a feeder light set up on your feeder works great with a rifle

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Just be careful and dont put yourself between them and where the came from cause they'll run you over after you hit the first one.

frankwright

One of the guys on the Traditional forum has been knocking them down on a regular basis for years. He uses a green light on his recurve.
I believe he said he points it up, turns on the light, comes down to light up the pig and shoots!

BamaGeorgialine

Thought I would try hogs at nite my bow. I have them baited up on the Ogeechee River and they are hitting the corn hard. I am using corn in a bucket, in a post hole, in a feeder and scattered in the palmettos plus motor oil in a wallow. They pulled the first 5 gal. bucket up by the stake and rolled my bucket off in the palmettos to parts unknown. I put another bucket out and anchored it with a concrete block. This time they twisted the rope up to the concrete block and tore the bucket of of the wire handle. They also rolled this bucket off to parts unknown. I have a green light on my bow but have since read that red is better. Last night I got in my practice ladder stand in my back yard and tried to draw on some does but they departed as soon as I turned the light on. This experiment might not work, but it gives me something to do before deer season.
I have bowhunted hogs at night for a few years now. It is an adrenaline rush and super fun. I have been using a green light and it's worked but I have had them spook too. I just recently got my sniper lights in for my new setup and I'm using a right light. I'm heading out friday night if not sooner. I CAN'T WAIT! It's crazy how the woods come alive and some of the noises that I've heard that I've never heard while hunting in the daylight hours. It's a little creepy sometimes when I'm out there on 2500 acres by myself in the middle of the night. I've never taken a sidearm before but, I'm thinking I might just for the walk back to the truck. Good luck brother

BowArrow

I thought aiming high, turning light on and coming down on pig would work best. Trailing a pig in the river swamp would be nerve racking in the dark especially by yourself. I might start carrying a pistol in case I cannot climb a tree. I cannot do the things I did fifty years ago.

Todd E

Green.
Turn light on with bow pointed above hogs.
Draw bow and lower light onto hog.

Also, run a kill light mounted to a close by tree at bucket. Mine is solar. Five settings. I run mine on 10% while idle. Then 50% upon motion activation.

I've heard just about every pig noise there is while sitting in the dark. The "shes mine" is really cool.

I never leave home without the .45 and two spare mags. I've been charged numerous times in the dark while tracking wounded, yet fully alive, hogs.
You're better off trailing with a short barreled shotgun with double ought buck.

sleepr71

Not at night. Not me! Too many snakes crawling,mosquitoes biting,and pigs always seem to run in the thickest..god-awful stuff when you shoot them. I can’t imagine wading through stuff that I can’t even see through at night! First thing I would do is get lost and wander in circles until daylight? Seriously,for safety...take a partner.?

BamaGeorgialine

Not at night. Not me! Too many snakes crawling,mosquitoes biting,and pigs always seem to run in the thickest..god-awful stuff when you shoot them. I can’t imagine wading through stuff that I can’t even see through at night! First thing I would do is get lost and wander in circles until daylight? Seriously,for safety...take a partner.?
Believe it or not, finding a GOOD partner that likes hunting the same way as I do isn't easy. All my buddies want to shoot rifles and hunt in the mornings. I don't even care that they shoot rifles, they just don't want to wander around in the woods in the middle of the night

BamaGeorgialine

I'm thinking about changing my feeders to go off at 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning. That way it's still good and dark but, I'll get most of the tracking done around daylight or a little after

BowArrow

I have decided to change my feeder to go off early in the morning. A morning trail job would be safer plus keeping my bearing would be easier. All of my former hunting pardners are getting to old to hunt hogs.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You’re gonna have to experiment and see what works......one day one thing, one day maybe another. Sure there was no sound like a click when the does ran off?
You already know if they smell you, you’ll never see them. Just go and have fun, but be safe!
I’d go green light and a tree stand if it were me, personally.........and I wouldn’t walk very far to get to said stand. I don’t mind yotes and bears or other critters, but a place loaded with hogs creeps me out at night. When I was younger though we thrived in he dark and were scared of Nothing! Cept maybe that patrol truck with a pit bull in back:bounce:

BamaGeorgialine

I have read a few articles that said that animals don't see red hardly at all and start seeing some light around green, then blue, then yellow and so forth. I've had them spook a little with a green light but, they were really close when I hit them with my light. I'm going red now so, we'll see tomorrow night. I watched a lot of Tim Wells on tv and he shoots a bunch of animals at night with his bow and he always uses red. I'm taking my bow and a red light tomorrow night and my buddy is taking a green light and an AR. I'll let you guys know how it goes

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have read a few articles that said that animals don't see red hardly at all and start seeing some light around green, then blue, then yellow and so forth. I've had them spook a little with a green light but, they were really close when I hit them with my light. I'm going red now so, we'll see tomorrow night. I watched a lot of Tim Wells on tv and he shoots a bunch of animals at night with his bow and he always uses red. I'm taking my bow and a red light tomorrow night and my buddy is taking a green light and an AR. I'll let you guys know how it goes
I was watching a show and the biologist was saying deer see red like black.....and if Tim likes it, me too!