Hollis Q. Lathem

Got tomorrow off and gonna try fishing at Hollis Q. Lathem with my kayak and one of my sons. Not had much luck on Lanier, and looking for a quieter time so Hollis seems to be a good place to hang out.

There were some good threads on this Forum so I know what to try etc.. but I was wondering about the parking situation. The lot is small, is there really that few people on the lake that it doesn't become a problem finding spot? Second I don't have a trailer, but all the spots look like trailer spots and am I allowed to park in one without a trailer (maybe I'm too use to Forsyth County ran ramps.)

Lastly I noticed the webpage (or the cache anyways) says "CCWSA encourages Bass ranging from 12-15 inches be kept/removed from the lake and Bass ranging 16 inches or larger be released." Is that a good sign if I just wanna catch ANYTHING? Sounds like it's getting overpopulated?

jocko755

So continue past the ramp and down the hill to the right - there is MORE parking.

I have always catch & released - never seen any signs saying you must harvest under 16 inches.

It's dog day HOT - which means fishing is better early and late. The hours of operation work against this goal. I'd fish a cool river

Yeah there is another huge parking lot I realized today when I came back towards noon and saw a few cars there. The main parking lots is also way larger then I thought looking at google maps.

I didn't see any signs about catch and release etc.. But the quote about over vs under 16 inches was on their website.

I will be back for sure. Love the peace and quiet compared to Lanier.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 7.23.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 7.23.27 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
If you lived within 30 minutes or so it might be worth a try but there is only a very small shore area to fish from, and you'll have to cast 40+ feet out off shore to get in water that is greater then 10' deep. And the 10' or less water isn't holding any fish that I could see on my fish finder.

Also most of the fish activity seems to be in the part of the further away from the area where you can shore fish.

You can easily catch some small blue-gill from the shore, but I assumed you were talking about bass.

If you lived within 30 minutes or so it might be worth a try but there is only a very small shore area to fish from, and you'll have to cast 40+ feet out off shore to get in water that is greater then 10' deep. And the 10' or less water isn't holding any fish that I could see on my fish finder.

Also most of the fish activity seems to be in the part of the further away from the area where you can shore fish.

You can easily catch some small blue-gill from the shore, but I assumed you were talking about bass.
Thanks. I live about 45 minutes to an hour from there so I think I'll pass.

I talked to a dad and his son today who showed up at 8am to shore fish. My guess from the car they drove they drove a good distance. The dad said they catch stuff shore fishing all the time even large mouth and spotted using worms, so maybe it is worth a try..