Home Defense for my Father

TAS

My Father is 73. He is retired from the Air Force and has firearm training. Has decided he wants a home defense pistol. I let him try out my 6" barrel .357. He liked it but wanted something slightly smaller in 4" barrel. He wants a revolver. Worried about recoil in smaller frame but also want it to be capable. Could go with .357 and use .38 if too much. Saw a .45 revolver which was interesting. Any ideas?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Taurus makes a really nice 22 mag revolver. Take a look at that. I think it's an 8-shot.

Lilly001

There are a host of small-medium frame revolvers in .357 out there.
I like S&W and Ruger but there are others.
I like the J frame S&W in .357 but it can be a handful with heavy loads. Also know that you can change from factory grips on many and that can make a huge difference on shoot ability.

killerv

I owned a 4in ruger sp101 in 357, talk about a handful. A s&w 4in in a model 19 or 66 with some good rubber grips would be ideal.

j_seph

I'm just going to throw this out there, why not a short shotgun or even a taurus 410 judge. Not being disrespectful but as we get older our eyes do not focus as they once did, our reflexes are not what they once were. Give him a chance to hit with multiple pellets, wider pattern than that of a pistol. Point and shoot is my theory, being awaken in the middle of the night or by surprise I want to point and shoot. Not have to take time to aim say for a specific target spot. Not have to get my eyes awake and focused to make out the sights. A laser would help for that if a pistol is a must. If light is dim or off it will be hard to see the sights as well. I am not sure how those night sights work but I would have to think that they need charging by a light source to glow in the dark and if pistol is kept in a drawer it will not have much light to charge them.

Geno67

If he's dead set on a revolver, have him try several and see which fits him best. If it were me, I would be trying to get him a 4" 44 mag and use 44 specials in it. Heavier gun makes the recoil far less noticeable. Since he's not trying to carry it, the weight is actually a good thing.

Any .357 will be fine that fits his hand well. Recoil may make .38 special the go to cartridge for it.

Stroker

A 4" S&W 19, 586 or 686 loaded with 38 SP 125 grain hollow points would make a sweet piece.

transfixer

I'd take him to a range and rent a couple of different ones, I would say a medium to large frame 4in .357 or .38 and get .38sp defensive rounds, you can always stagger swc rounds and hp rounds, swc for penetration, light hollow points for damage,

A 44 special revolver, or possibly a 44mag that isn't too heavy, with a 4in brl, and using 44sp loads would be more than adequate,

in either case I'd let him go shoot a few rental guns and make the choice himself, he'll know what he's comfortable with.

Stroker

I owned a 4in ruger sp101 in 357, talk about a handful. A s&w 4in in a model 19 or 66 with some good rubber grips would be ideal.

I shoot and carry my 4" nickle 19 more than any of my other hand guns. My ideal .38/357 revolver, thinking about buying a blue one but with tax my refund.

GeorgiaBob

See if he would be interested in a multical revolver that can shoot a .410 shotgun shell!

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Age 73, home defense...? 20 gauge shotgun with an 18.5" barrel. Hey look, I'm quoting myself...:eek2:

Mossberg Maverick 88 in 20 gauge ~ $ 189 at Academy. 26" barrel, weighs 7 lbs. #32200
Maverick 88 20 gauge
32200_20GA_6shot.png

Then call Mossberg and order the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel direct from them. ~ $ 100 shipped. (won't find it in stores). Load #2 or #3 shot shells.

Now, you have a very lightweight, "household" length, 6 shot powerhouse, with low recoil, that most anyone at home can handle properly. Swap the 26" barrel back on and you have a reliable, lightweight field gun, dual purpose.

I actually prefer the 20 gauge over the 12 gauge for home defense due to recoil, follow up shot, etc. If you still want a wood stock, then do the same thing with a Model 500. (~ $245)
50136.png

Massad Ayoob on the 20 gauge: (typo on the 12 vs. 20 in the article, but you get the idea).
Consider the 20-gauge shotgun

And to top it off, I'm actually a wheel gun fella myself. Only once have I demonstrated firing my .357 Magnum revolver without ear protection...BRRIINGG! I'd hate to think of that blazing muzzle flash indoors in low light, and then having to make a decent follow up shot.

Geno67

Stage electronic muffs with any and all home defense firearms. You don't want to shoot a .22 without hearing protection.

Stump Shooter

Not trying to change the thread because you specifically asked for thoughts on a revolver. Went through this with my father several years ago until he was introduced to a GLOCK 19 and 26 in 9mm. You did mention a home defense firearm so at 73 I just think a striker fired pistol would be easier to shoot accurately (recoil is no where near a -357) and at a faster rate if needed also, as we age our strength in our hands and motor skills diminish. More is also better and would rather have to many rounds than not enough. Also have the option to add a light for night use if needed.