Home Security Video (Ring, Nest, Lorex, etx)

Patriot44

Banned
Looking for feedback on a front entrance cam. I am thinking about a completely wireless solution so any advice is appreciated.

We order 90% of our good through Amazon and with this trend comes thieving.

Thanks

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
The ring was very easy to install and hook up. Can answer the ring from anywhere on my phone, and see who's there, talk to them, tell them to get of my lawn, etc..

BeerThirty

Any serious thief knows to sneak around back, cut power and those systems are virtually useless. Of course, not every thief is the real deal...

Joking aside, following. Been considering one myself...

K80Shooter

I've been thinking about the Arlo pro or ultra but know very little about them also.

rayjay

There's just last week been news stories about a hacker hacking one of these systems and spying on the family. Change your password weekly was the warning.

I just had a good idea. Build or buy a package drop off box for the front porch. Something that locks when the lid is closed. Put a sign on the inside of the lid to alert the delivery driver.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Saw a timely story about this company recently. Pretty simple and slick solution.
getboxlock

Patriot44

Banned
There's just last week been news stories about a hacker hacking one of these systems and spying on the family. Change your password weekly was the warning.

I just had a good idea. Build or buy a package drop off box for the front porch. Something that locks when the lid is closed. Put a sign on the inside of the lid to alert the delivery driver.
Saw a timely story about this company recently. Pretty simple and slick solution.
getboxlock
We order everything from Amazon. Couches, trampolines, food, bicycles, lock box wont work for us.

Also, we like the idea of having a front door cam that we can see out of from another country. :bounce:

FootLongDawg

I have had a basic ring doorbell for about a year. It works pretty good...no complaints. But I would think an experienced porch thief set on crime, could raise his hoodie and snatch your package(s) and skeedadle without leaving you and the cops much useful video evidence. Im not talking about the criminals that come up and ring your doorbell and wait for a non response. Im talking smash and grab type fools without the smash. Im am considering more external cameras. Really just depends how skert you are. On the "nearby neighbor incidents" feature on my Ring app, besides the "have you seen my dog fido, or my cat fefe" there are are a lot of suspicious characters roaming around checking for unlocked cars.

Meriwether Mike

I have been happy with the Ring Doorbell camera. It helps me to see packages being delivered and view work going on. I was able to catch my lawn service person not doing their job with it. The guy was fired that day after I talked with his boss about his fraud. He was driving by and putting out the flag without doing any lawn work. His boss confirmed what was happening and took good care of me while making it right.

Patriot44

Banned
I have been happy with the Ring Doorbell camera. It helps me to see packages being delivered and view work going on. I was able to catch my lawn service person not doing their job with it. The guy was fired that day after I talked with his boss about his fraud. He was driving by and putting out the flag without doing any lawn work. His boss confirmed what was happening and took good care of me while making it right.
Thanks and another story for me. I have long suspected our lawn company doing this.

rayjay

" there are are a lot of suspicious characters roaming around checking for unlocked cars.

I watch ch 5 for the weather and some news every morning. At least once a week they show security camera footage of criminals rummaging through cars in the wee hours of the morning. Last week they had vid of the crook scoring a handgun from the center console of a vehicle. And this is the suburbs.

rayjay

We order everything from Amazon. Couches, trampolines, food, bicycles, lock box wont work for us.

Also, we like the idea of having a front door cam that we can see out of from another country. :bounce:

Just have to put in nice looking metal enclosure with an entry door. I actually had another idea a while back about a metal barrier separating the sleeping area from the entryway of the house. It will become common eventually.

Hillbilly stalker

Check out the "Blink" system. Two of my coworkers use it and my best friend does also. Its very easy to install and all the video is stored on the companies server. You can buy all the camera's you want and install them yourself. They have both inside and outside type of camera's. They run off battery so there's no wire to manipulate or disconnect. The night time cameras do an amazing job. The great thing is you can put them anywhere at anytime. Turn it on or off from your cell, and get live footage anytime. One piece of advice is to always mount one camera low enough to get a face shot. Often they are too high and the bill of a cap or hoodie pulled tight will obscure the view. You must have Wi-Fi tho.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
The issue with the Ring mentioned above was people not changing the admin password on their modem/routers. Do that and you are more secure. Change it regularly and even more so.

specialk

I havent had a package delivered to my house in over 15 years.....always to work....reason is the doberman or pitbull in the yard aint kind to delivery people....the meter reader drives accross the yard right up to the meter.....works for me ....your milage may vary.....

Lilly001

I have the hard wired version.
It was pretty easy to run the wires and I get very good video and audio.
I can set any, or all, cameras to notify me of motion.
I can monitor and change anything from my phone or iPad.
I can store video to the cloud, or not. My choice.
And I don't worry about batteries.

marknga

GONetwork Member
We have Arlo at my mother in laws house. Works pretty well. Batteries last a couple months. Easy to use.

Shane Dockery

I have the Ring Floodlight camera. Works great for me. Also has a built in 120db alarm for when the rascals try to steal your stuff. Hopefully scares them off.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Amazon key (garage delivery) might work for you.

Latest posts