Homemade bait!

Doug B.

Has anyone uses dobbins bait solution? I have some deer meat I’m thinking about grinding up and adding that to it
I cut up some bobcat meat and tainted it and put some of Dobbins bait solution in it. I didn't have any luck with it. The solution I used had skunk essence in it. I think he has some that does not have skunk in it. It may work better.

2dye4

IMO baits and lures are for your area that you are in and if you use too much to often your targets (coyotes,coons, possum,etc.) get weary to your sets. I believe in mixing up on every set. I’ve caught multiple coyotes on same sets and run into a dry spell. Move it 10 yards and catch more. I would like to know what everyone is catching cats on? They seem to be smarter than coyotes that I’ve caught.

Doug B.

Cats are kinda different. But I just set coyote sets. When I go check every morning it's really no surprise when there is a bobcat in my trap. I don't set them specifically for cats. They are easy to catch seems like. Almost like a coon. If you have a trap set they will run stick their foot in it.

2dye4

Cats are kinda different. But I just set coyote sets. When I go check every morning it's really no surprise when there is a bobcat in my trap. I don't set them specifically for cats. They are easy to catch seems like. Almost like a coon. If you have a trap set they will run stick their foot in it.
I’ve only caught one cat, but I know they are there. My main focus is on coyotes, but I’d like to up my catch on all predators.

Doug B.

I usually catch around 10 bobcats per season in coyote sets. If I tried to target bobcats I probably wouldn't catch any.
Actually I do catch some cats at specific spots that I set cause I have caught cats there before. The thing about cats is you can make a set really flashy and block it down tight. Pile up stuff into a cubby. Leave your trap exposed. They will go step their foot right in the trap!

buckpasser

IMO baits and lures are for your area that you are in and if you use too much to often your targets (coyotes,coons, possum,etc.) get weary to your sets. I believe in mixing up on every set. I’ve caught multiple coyotes on same sets and run into a dry spell. Move it 10 yards and catch more. I would like to know what everyone is catching cats on? They seem to be smarter than coyotes that I’ve caught.

Running cameras on sets and using castor for beavers has taught me that bobcats love to investigate castor. Unlike coyotes it’s not at all uncommon for them to work a set any time day or night too. Here’s one that wedged into a beaver set 330.

19455E7F-223A-4A75-8B4B-AC17BBAD45E1.jpeg

Doug B.

Running cameras on sets and using castor for beavers has taught me that bobcats love to investigate castor. Unlike coyotes it’s not at all uncommon for them to work a set any time day or night too. Here’s one that wedged into a beaver set 330.

View attachment 1101677
How did the release go on that one?::ke::rofl:
It don't look like you needed a choke stick!
Seriously though, that is just wild!!!

buckpasser

How did the release go on that one?::ke::rofl:
It don't look like you needed a choke stick!
Seriously though, that is just wild!!!

The release went well. Way less growling, lunging and gnashing of teeth than normal. That was not what I expected in my 330!

I suspect large bobcats spend a fair amount of time hunting beavers. There’s almost always bobcat sign around dams and slides. Also, I’ve had them drag beaver carcasses out of ponds to feed on them.

2dye4

View attachment 1101677
I will have to try that. I’ve got the perfect spot for a set like that on a creek bank where I see lots of tracks. Got plenty of 330s laying around because I’ve hammered the beavers, but I’m sure they’ll be back.

2dye4

I was at my hunting cabin last weekend and I had 2 bags of homemade bait on the back of my truck. When I woke up the next morning they were nowhere to be found. Must be appealing to some predators. My truck was parked 20 yards from my cabin. Can’t wait for a cool spell to start putting traps back in the ground.

Doug B.

I was at my hunting cabin last weekend and I had 2 bags of homemade bait on the back of my truck. When I woke up the next morning they were nowhere to be found. Must be appealing to some predators. My truck was parked 20 yards from my cabin. Can’t wait for a cool spell to start putting traps back in the ground.
Too bad you didn't get to use the bait to catch some of the pesky critters!
Sounds like you need to make up another batch!

Latest posts