Homemade Hog Traps

goob

Anybody build their own hog trap? Looking for ideas!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve always built my on . But I was just looking for one to eat . And they always worked .

goob

1 or 2 at a time, and something portable would be ideal.

sleepr71

Just remember…all of the ones you miss with that small trap, are going to be educated when their buddies get caught in it. They will never go in a trap after that….more than likely…?

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just remember…all of the ones you miss with that small trip, are going to be educated when their buddies get caught in it. They will never go in a trap after that….more than likely…?
When I was a kid I remember my dad cutting all the small boars and releasing them . I bet they were trap shy ? That was before everyone hated them so much . And I’m pretty sure they hadn’t covered the state yet . I actually wish we had a few around where I live and primarily hunt .

Fork Horn

. I actually wish we had a few around where I live and primarily hunt .
We often say about the same thing. Hogs have never been plentiful on our place in Union county. A couple of years ago hogs were heavily using our neighbors place and we started shooting them on our place and the neighbors place. Ended up getting over thirty of them before they disappeared. My son has said many times since then that he wished the hogs would come back. We had some good times while out at night watching for them.

dfurdennis

Got an 8 panel we built with sq tube and hog wire.....cell phone receiver monitored with a cell cam. They go in....one call that's all....drops the gate game over. With the solar panel, battery receiver and relay and parts probably have 700 dollars in it. It is fairly mobile and has trapped over 100 hogs in the last two years.

Attachments

• downloaded637237011396094490.jpg
    downloaded637237011396094490.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 71

HogKillaDNR

Think I might have a new hobby after seeing all this. I was going to take an old fence down and now I can use the material for a hog trap. Just have to figure out the door trap.

95g atl

Tractor supply sales a nice little Portable trap that works . If you have a welder you could probably build one like it for a quarter of the price . Kmac on here uses one and catches plenty View attachment 1090963
I have TWO of these and used them (the ideas) to build my own. I think I have 8 or so of these kind of traps and a few corral type traps.

While you can build CHEAPER, i'll tell you it will take a better part of a day your first time building one. You'll need a metal yard to get the metal, cutting wheels, wire feed or stick welder, etc.

In my humble and probably useless opinion, I would buy ONE of these traps. You'll want to shovel some dirt over the wire floor. You'll also want to camo the heck out of it with branches or get it into some thick stuff to camo it. Don't sit it open in a field...

Wire it open for a couple weeks and keep corn in it. They need to get use to it.

I use a simple 1x2 or 2x2 cut in half with a string on one of the boards. I route it to ACROSS the back of the trap.

Sometimes you'll catch a stupid doe. So be mindful of how you will let her out. They tend to freak out.

Good luck!

95g atl

Think I might have a new hobby after seeing all this. I was going to take an old fence down and now I can use the material for a hog trap. Just have to figure out the door trap.

The hinge door is the most complex part IMO. It's not hard, but you're measurements and angles need to be right on. Takes some time.

Once you build a couple, you can mass produce them at a faster rate.
They use to cost about $75-85 in materials. I haven't priced metal recently but it's probably a bit more in today's nonsense.

I have two of those Voorhies traps. Great for catching "eaters". I have had as many as 6 in a trap at once. These are great beginner traps. I think you get what you want from hog hunting/trapping activities. If you just want to catch a few hogs for food this is a great start. Many hunters/trappers will graduate into building their own. Others, like me will use some of these traps as well as continue to spot/stalk with NVG or thermal scopes.

Just enjoy going out and gettin' them.

HogKillaDNR

I started the new hobby and killed two yesterday that set off the root trigger. Hopefully I'll get some more this weekend and the door was the hardest part.

frankwright

They built this one in a few hours with fence post and panels.
They simply pulled the last panel in so it was spring loaded and tied it to a root stick.
Funny thing is it has not been baited in several months but the camera is still up and the door is tied open and there were four pigs in there rooting around!
8sT9eL6l.jpg

HogKillaDNR

Wish I got started earlier this year trapping. I've had fun and it's been a learning experience.

longrangedog

Built one like this but it was to hard for the small eating size ones to push open . If I was trying to get rid of them and didn’t want to spend a fortune I think I’d go with this design .View attachment 1090911
Tie the door to a stout cord and pull it open so that you create a 2' opening. Rig a trigger attached to a root stick and bait the root stick so that the hogs eating the corn will release the root stick causing the door to spring closed. You Tube is a great source for traps and triggers. It's rare for pigs to push their way into a trap and usually only happens when other pigs are in the trap eating. I've had it happen once in the last several years.

HogKillaDNR

This was my first time running a corral trap with a root stick trigger. It definitely does work and I use to pieces of rebar and angle them at 45 degrees. I place my stick between them off making sure its not touching the ground. I then put corn over it and put something sweet like brown sugar and molasses so its very tempting. My next project is building my own guillotine door and frame.