Homemade venison brats!

RamblinWreck

Went to the butcher and got some pork fat and hog casing, went 20% by weight on the fat/venison ratio. Spices are salt (2% of total meat weight), white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, caraway, mustard powder, marjoram, and onion powder. I boned out a whole hindquarter from a big buck, and trimmed every bit of fat and silver skin off. Ground it twice thru my KA mixer grinder with the small plate, stuffed the casings, and voila - BRATS! Das schmeckt gut!

These are uncooked & uncured, so they must be eaten right away or frozen. About 10-11 lbs worth.
brats1.jpg

longbowdave1

Went to the butcher and got some pork fat and hog casing, went 20% by weight on the fat/venison ratio. Spices are salt (2% of total meat weight), white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, caraway, mustard powder, marjoram, and onion powder. I boned out a whole hindquarter from a big buck, and trimmed every bit of fat and silver skin off. Ground it twice thru my KA mixer grinder with the small plate, stuffed the casings, and voila - BRATS! Das schmeckt gut!

These are uncooked & uncured, so they must be eaten right away or frozen. About 10-11 lbs worth.
View attachment 1052027
They look great.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Excellent. I would smoke those suckers and freeze 'em up.:rockon:

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Those look fantastic! I did some a couple years ago and ground garlic, onion, and jalapenos in it.
Post pics when you smoke them up.

RamblinWreck

Nicht! Nein! No decent German would ever smoke a bratwurst. I prefer mine grilled over coals. Too rainy to fire up the grill tonight.

I love smoked sausage, just not brats because the spices get lost in the smoker. On the other hand, a Cajun andouille seasoning would be perfect for smoked sausage.

Seriously, if you are going to smoke them, you should add the proper amount of curing salt, and that just changes the bratwurst into something else. Just IMO and you certainly don't have to agree, as long as you like what you make! Whack 'em and grill 'em.

pop pop jones

Nicht! Nein! No decent German would ever smoke a bratwurst. I prefer mine grilled over coals. Too rainy to fire up the grill tonight.

I love smoked sausage, just not brats because the spices get lost in the smoker. On the other hand, a Cajun andouille seasoning would be perfect for smoked sausage.

Seriously, if you are going to smoke them, you should add the proper amount of curing salt, and that just changes the bratwurst into something else. Just IMO and you certainly don't have to agree, as long as you like what you make! Whack 'em and grill 'em.

Can you tell your dealing with a room full of Southern folks, heck we smoke anything.

RamblinWreck

I'm as southern as y'all, and I smoke a lot of everything. Wait, that didn't sound right...

I respect my heritage, and I loved the food when I worked in Germany - and the beer. Sigh.

hawkeye123

You right bout the brats, but of course you right, a screen name of Ramblinwreck could not be wrong, I'm of the mindset that there are only 2 ways to cook meat, fried & smoked, but some things are better grilled. Some fish like grouper & pompano for sure, u don't smoke a hot dog or a brat

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
They look good.

Head East

Mighty fine!