Honey Locust Tree

Deerman

Honey Locust are easy to identify by their numerous thorns, distinctive bark and compound leaves. Honey Locust are decidous with very limited wildlife value. Deer will feed extensively on the seed pods. Many hunters make a point to hunt these trees when the "beans" are falling. Have any of you ever hunted around thes trees? If so what kind of luck have you had hunting them. Do you hunt them in the morning , noon or evening?

Eshad

Good question Deerman. I found one on our property last weekend, and I was wondering the same thing. Any advice would be great.

Deerman

I just found this out. The pods drop gradually after ripening from October to late winter. The pods make excellent food for cattle too

ryanwhit

After a good hard frost, the insides of the pods turn to a sweet jelly-like substance. Deer love 'em. It's kinda like a winter time persimmon. Try huntin in later in the season.

Snakeman

Pods fall late in the season, and provide a food source when most others are gone. I've seen several deer eating the pods at any time of the day.

The Snakeman

Aztec

One of my best spots is at a Honey Locust tree. I killed a nice 9 pointer under it last year. I find that after the pods have been frozen, the deer will start hitting them pretty hard. I usually don't hunt the trees until December. I have always killed a nice buck near these trees. As for the time of day it seems that afternoons have been better for me but the buck last year was 0810 am.

Brad

Do any of you know if they grow in Florida? Last years primos bow video had them piling them up under one

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Honey Locust Pods can't be beat. --- Especially from Thanksgiving on.

Some of the most violent rut sign I've ever seen was around a large Honey Locust in Elbert County.

I think every Doe within a mile checked it regularly in hopes a Pod had fell from the tree.:D

By the way --- Kdog did have some for sale -- don't know if he's sold out or not.

Taylor Co.

I agree...

I shot the deer during the later part of Nov. at an old homeplace site that was thick longest possible shot was 30-yds. that's the reason for taking the bow. I was hoping to kill a good buck with the bow.

Timberman

I've so many on my place up here it's unreal. I've had 5 flats on my tractor this year alone from them. Thinking about foaming the fronts on it. After frost they hit them hard, usually cleaning every pod dropped on the ground the day before by morn of the next day. Lots of times when you spook them under one they'll run off with a pod in their mouth, refusing to give it up...Then wherever they leave the seeds I have that many more! It's a scourge.... :banginghe ;)

gadeerwoman

Deer around me hit them hard from the beginning bow season until they are all gone.
Easy to grow them from the seed. Just take the seed out of the pod and put in some soil or dig a little hole and cover with old leaves. I've 2 in my yard where I swept out the back of the truck and I've got to cut them down this year. They grow very fast !

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
As these guys have said, a "Bean Tree" as some people call them are the best late season food source around. If I were you I'd be stuck to that tree from December till the end of the season.

Tommy