Hopkins&Allen offhand mdl.

Cknerr

what type of peep are they? Could you post a few pics? There are all sorts of specialty sight makers out there. One will likely be making the style you want....just can't remember what goes with your Hopkins & Allen (too many gray hairs?)

Chris

Bernard goldsmith

They are not like most peep sites. There was a gun on gun brokers the other day that showed what they looked like. A very elaborate site for offhand shooting!! If i could find one i would have a machinist make it. After new years i may be contacting you about the clean-out screw on my Investarms m/l Thanks.

Cknerr

Since they mostly made pistols, by chance is that what sight goes on rather then a rifle? They also made a few shotguns.

Sorry, assumed a fancy sight went on a rifle....

Chris

Cknerr

Bernard,
Need a bit more info. I have several books on Allen & Hopkins. If you could post a picture of what you have, I'll try to find out what went on it. There are too many models/versions to guess.

Offhand covers most mdl's and they range from presentation grade elaborately engraved presentation pieces to little plinkers that where more novelty then practical.

This was one of their match pistols I rebuilt (way beyond restoring) http://riflerestorer.com/gallery/ss_cane.htm click on a thumbnail for a bigger pictures.

There is lots of info on them and parts can be had or made.

Chris

Bernard goldsmith

Hopkins & Allen Muzzle Loader

This is the only pic I could find of this particular gun. I know 4 people who have this gun, 2 are buggy models and 2 are offhand models, but only 1 has a position for a peep site. It's a 45 cal. the trigger guard is the spring for the hammer.

Attachments

• H&A muz oader (600 x 450).jpg
    H&A muz oader (600 x 450).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 820

Cknerr

Now we are getting somewhere. I do recoganize the style/type. Have a couple in my spare parts bin too. They are not of course made for yours, but are very similar. The differance is how they mount to your tang. That can be changed so they will mate to your rifle. When I go back to the shop, I'll take a few pictures and post them.

Chris