Hornady CX Bullets ... New

deast1988

Speaking of TSX/TTSX, what is your experience with them on deer? I've never hunted with them but always wanted to kill something with one.

I grouped some 85 TSX in my 240Wby once and they shot pretty well at over 3400 fps.

The stories of light blood trails and lots of runners has kept me from using them. Some people hate them. Seems like it's about 50/50.

I've never loaded any TTSX. Not that it matters but I just think the TSX looks better.

I've considered hunting with them this season.

80gr TTSX is a death Ray in the .243. 100gr same in the .25/06. 127gr in the 6.5-300wby same. 110gr in the .270wsm. 64gr in the 5.56. 140gr in the .7RUM. 130gr in the .30/06. I’ve tried a bunch, they work great:

They are considered a hard bullet, the mono core all copper are tough. You give them help expanding you will have zero issues. Help is hitting solid mass bones shoulders.

Over in 6.8 forums, they say you can see a distinct difference from a hog by a copper bullet that has a smaller deeper wound channel vs a Lead core bullet that dumps on impact. This is from guys who shoot 100s of hogs a year. The 120gr SST vs 110gr TSX out of the 6.8 the 120sst is said to have far more drops on impact then the barnes. Even though the barnes out penetrates. Those guys say the penetration robs the energy dump. I haven’t tested enough, but deer react different when a partition hits vs a TSX out of my .270wsm.

furtaker

80gr TTSX is a death Ray in the .243. 100gr same in the .25/06. 127gr in the 6.5-300wby same. 110gr in the .270wsm. 64gr in the 5.56. 140gr in the .7RUM. 130gr in the .30/06. I’ve tried a bunch, they work great:

They are considered a hard bullet, the mono core all copper are tough. You give them help expanding you will have zero issues. Help is hitting solid mass bones shoulders.

Over in 6.8 forums, they say you can see a distinct difference from a hog by a copper bullet that has a smaller deeper wound channel vs a Lead core bullet that dumps on impact. This is from guys who shoot 100s of hogs a year. The 120gr SST vs 110gr TSX out of the 6.8 the 120sst is said to have far more drops on impact then the barnes. Even though the barnes out penetrates. Those guys say the penetration robs the energy dump. I haven’t tested enough, but deer react different when a partition hits vs a TSX out of my .270wsm.
They react differently how?

deast1988

They react differently how?

One gets hit runs off.

One gets hit, acts totally smashed then runs off.

It’s hard to explain, but these dudes have less leave there sights with lead vs Barnes. That deep driving bullet, has very refined wound channel. It smokes deer, but these guys who shoot piles and piles of hogs. Swear that the ones hit with the bonded lead act like a dump truck hits em. Vs getting stung by a bee trotting off.

I’ve shot truckloads of Barnes, but im getting lighting strikes with partitions I’ve never seen with Barnes.

furtaker

One gets hit runs off.

One gets hit, acts totally smashed then runs off.

It’s hard to explain, but these dudes have less leave there sights with lead vs Barnes. That deep driving bullet, has very refined wound channel. It smokes deer, but these guys who shoot piles and piles of hogs. Swear that the ones hit with the bonded lead act like a dump truck hits em. Vs getting stung by a bee trotting off.

I’ve shot truckloads of Barnes, but im getting lighting strikes with partitions I’ve never seen with Barnes.
Yeah that's what I've read too and that's one thing that's prevented me from using them. A deer hit in the vitals with any hunting bullet is a dead deer but I'd rather have a 20yd tracking job in the thick stuff than a 100yd job.

And in my experience, plain old cup and core soft points like CoreLokts, Power Points, and Interlocks drop them quicker than tougher bonded soft points like Fusions. But they don't penetrate as well.

Nimrod71

I want them to fall dead in their tracks. I don't want to have track down a wounded deer. I have not had any problems using Sierra 150 Pro Hunters. I know this is off topic, just me. I have tried Barnes and they didn't shoot as well in my rifle so I didn't hunt with them. One of my cousins hunts with them and I have helped him track several deer. We found the deer but it took time and more work.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Regardless of bullet:
Every animal that I ever shot in the head or spine dropped in it's tracks.
Every animal that I ever shot through the lungs where the bullet also caused trauma to the spine dropped in their tracks.
Every animal that I ever shot where both shoulders were smashed either dropped on the spot or wheel barreled a short distance in rear wheel drive only.
Every animal that I ever shot in both lungs and or the heart died within 100yds and most of those were within 40yds.
Every animal that vitals were hit marginally ended in longer tracking.
I cannot say that I have ever heart shot or lung shot a deer with any bullet that dropped them in their tracks just by hitting either of those two vitals.

Putting the right bullet in the right spot is the key. Copper or Cup and Core.

I’ve just got some of the CX bullets to compare with the TTSX I’ve been using.

For now I’m stuck using the GMX data. I literally just received them yesterday. I can say of the 80g 6mm that I’ve weighed they are quite consistent. One negative I’ve found is varying length when seating. Some have varied as much as five thousandths in overall length. I seated some Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets with the identical settings, didn’t touch the seating die and the variation in overall length diminished to virtually none over five test rounds. I haven’t noted variations like these with the Barnes TTSX either. If they shoot accurately all I just mentioned is moot.

BriarPatch99

IF ....Hornady has in fact "soften" the CX up from the GMX .... there should be no problem using the data for the harder bullet data for a softer bullet ... that "fact" has yet to be confirmed by many folks ... early reports say otherwise ...but I hope some you guys test them out and give feed back ...

Reactions: Dub

Darkhorse

A few years ago I did some accuracy testing on several calibers using the Hornady Interbond bullets. The results in my .308 and 7mm mag. were pretty good so I hunted with the .308 150 grain for a couple of years. I shot several deer and even more hogs with those bullets. They were good killers and accurate too, so I decided to hunt mainly with those bullets.
Then without warning the stores and online bullet sellers all had empty shelves.
So I contacted Hornady and was told they were dropping the line because it took to long to make them.
I really liked those bullets and that answer ticked me off.
In the end I sent 5 emails to Hornady.
Finally I was told they were going to do a limited run of the Interbonds. And they did. But I never got my hands on them.

So that's my reason to hate Hornady thread. Not much I know but at the time it really stirred me up.