Hornady SST Superperformance 7mm mag ammo

Ugahunter2013

Has anybody shot these before? I have 2 boxes of the 162 gr. 7mm mag. I am shooting 150 grain Core Lokts now and getting 0 blood. I have used the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips before, are the Hornadys comparable to them?

Nimrod71

Where are you hitting the deer. I use 150 in 308 and 140 in 7-08 and both go through both shoulders and leave a good blood trail, on the two that ran. Most fall right there.

Ugahunter2013

I aim behind the shoulder. Most of the deer drop and normally there is devastating internal damage in the cavity, but there is never much if an exit or blood. Eventually it is going to cause a problem.

280 Man

Banned
Has anybody shot these before? I have 2 boxes of the 162 gr. 7mm mag. I am shooting 150 grain Core Lokts now and getting 0 blood. I have used the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips before, are the Hornadys comparable to them?

Not getting blood? Where you hitting these deer?

Those 162 gr SST's are good bullets. I handload 154 gr SST's in my 280 and I get really good blood.

Those Winchester Silvertips are nothing more than Nosler Ballistic Tips. So yes, they are good bullets and the SST's are somewhat comparable to the Silvertips.

transfixer

7mag is driving those bullets pretty fast I would imagine, so they are likely disentegrating after entrance, if you want a through and through shot then you're going to need a stouter bullet, like a Nosler Partition, or one of the monolithic copper bullets, core lokts are fairly thin jacketed and soft lead if I remember right, I haven't shot any of those in years, silvertips, ballistic tips, or sst's will expand/disentegrate violently when driven to fast velocities , such as a 7mag does.

Although if you're shooting slightly behind the shoulder, and up around the top of the shoulder you're clipping the spine, or severing it, and they will drop right there without taking a step, if you are confident you can make that shot consistently I wouldn't worry about a through and through,,, I always shoot high behind the shoulder, I don't want them running after the shot, I believe the adrenaline affects the taste of the meat . I want them to drop right there without taking a step.

krizia829

Never shot it in 7mm but I have it in .30-06 and 150gr. Aim behind the shoulder, high and they all drop right there! The few deer that have actually ran never made it far. Very fast & good trajectory with those rounds. Never switching to anything else!

Nimrod71

The SST will probably work the same as the NBT. I have never used SST but I have NBT's and they are deadly on deer, DRT kind of on the spot. In my 7mm Mag. I shoot 160 gr. Sierra and I can tell you they work.

Dr. Strangelove

Those bullets are made for long range shooting which translates into lower impact velocities. At typical GA whitetail deer ranges, the bullet expands explosively and oftentimes doesn't leave an exit wound.

As mentioned already, a more traditional expanding type bullet would be a better choice for the ranges we typically see in GA.