Hot Day for Spots Trolling Flat Creek Lanier

LittleDrummerBoy

Nine spots in two hours (1 to 3 PM) trolling the upper reaches of Flat Creek today. Beautiful day too. Surface temp 66 deg F. Most spots caught 20 feet down in 40-55 ft of water. 7 on Michigan Stinger spoons, 1 on an X-rap, 1 on a Frenzy.

LittleDrummerBoy

Where's @Browning Slayer? The cover shot on this vid should put a smile on his face.

We've been very happy with the flavor of spots in Lanier. Our experience is that fish flavor is impacted more by what they eat than the species. Spots caught trolling Lanier are eating mostly on the big schools of bait fish in open water. This gives a much better flavor than fish feeding mostly in the mud on frogs and snakes and stuff like that. I'm sure crawfish will show up soon, but so far this year, identifiable stomach contents have all been shad and herring.

Cmp1

BANNED
Great video and catches,,,,God is definitely blessing you,,,,are spots mushy or firm and flaky?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Where's @Browning Slayer? The cover shot on this vid should put a smile on his face.
It does! I would rather eat a Crappie then one of those nasty fish!

I'm glad LittleDrummer kills them!

I saw him at the boat ramp a couple weeks ago but took off from the ramp before he had put his boat in.

LittleDrummerBoy

Great video and catches,,,,God is definitely blessing you,,,,are spots mushy or firm and flaky?

Firm and flaky. Never had a mushy one.

It does! I would rather eat a Crappie then one of those nasty fish!

I'm glad LittleDrummer kills them!

I saw him at the boat ramp a couple weeks ago but took off from the ramp before he had put his boat in.

I like crappie too, but we usually keep every legal fish we catch. Trying to eat healthier and had a long talk with my doc this year about eating more fish to lower cholesterol and other health benefits. We also try and give away lots of fish. People on fixed incomes don't mind free fish and even like the spotted bass.

Please say hello next time you see me. My boat sure is easy to spot. I always appreciate meeting people from the forum in person. Of course I understand if you're eager to hit the water or don't want to slow down other people launching on a busy morning.

Browning Slayer

Firm and flaky. Never had a mushy one.

I like crappie too, but we usually keep every legal fish we catch. Trying to eat healthier and had a long talk with my doc this year about eating more fish to lower cholesterol and other health benefits. We also try and give away lots of fish. People on fixed incomes don't mind free fish and even like the spotted bass.

Please say hello next time you see me. My boat sure is easy to spot. I always appreciate meeting people from the forum in person. Of course I understand if you're eager to hit the water or don't want to slow down other people launching on a busy morning.

Oh I'll say Hi next time. I was already in the water waiting on my buddy to park the truck when I saw you pull down to the ramp.

I'm usually not on the water this time of year. I'm usually in a deer stand most weekends.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The ones around here are firm and flaky, good eating when they come from cool water.

Browning Slayer

I hauled one out in a boat couple weeks ago.

I ain't gettin NO BLOOD on my boat! She's too purty!! Now my 4 wheeler... It stays bloody..

LittleDrummerBoy

Plenty of deer on the shores of Lanier. I've seen more deer fishing this fall than on hunting properties. The above video has a doe and twin fawns on the Balus Creek bank for a minute or so at the end. Since the water is down, lots of acorns are falling on accessible areas of the bank that fall into the water at full pool.

If it were legal, I'd shoot those deer and bloody my boat.