Hound doggers this weekend!

goshenmountainman

Goshenmountainman, does that book give a predation percentage of adult males on cub crop? I know they kill them when given the opportunity. I don’t think Georgia has enough research on our bears to have that information pertaining to our population specifically but I can’t remember the research data. I always felt it took large mature boars to do that to a female unless a small boar just happened across the right opportunity. It would make sense to me that with overpopulation and smaller average size boars we would have less boar/cub predation. Further adding to radical population swings. It’s like ponds with overpopulated small bass. The population is unhealthy and can’t support proper growth to full potential. Reduce the numbers and they can grow larger but you will not have the numbers. Somewhere in the middle lies the appropriate balance. I’m in hopes that given time, this management tool will help restore that balance which will be much better for the mountain in the long run!
It did, I gave the book along with the rest of the books to good will. I can't remember what it said about the boars killing the cubs, it has been three years since I read it. It was a series of wildlife books, bear,deer,moose, and elk. I can't remember who wrote them, it was like an infomational series.

goshenmountainman

Dad said yesterday evening there had been 54 bear taken, he said they got two more today and another groups dogs joined theirs and treed another one and the other group got it, so thats at least 57 today,and still got one more day.

Rulo

57 bears? From which WMA? Whats the breakdown?

Anybody have the stats of the number of out of state hunters / Georgia Resident hunters?

tree cutter 08

That's a bunch of bears from one area. With that said it shows just how high the population is. That is why there are hardly any deer there. I know a lot of folks like the bears, I do to and enjoy hunting them but I'm glad to see them go. You got 4 big areas surrounding hooch and while 50 something bears seems like a lot it's a drop in the bucket. They will be just as thick next year. Now if we could figure out a way to get rid of that many yotes! Think about how many crossed the boundaries and got away, and how many are still there that survived the hunt. I'm curious as to what the dnr had estimated the total harvest would be?

humdandy

Banned
That's a bunch of bears from one area. With that said it shows just how high the population is. That is why there are hardly any deer there. I know a lot of folks like the bears, I do to and enjoy hunting them but I'm glad to see them go. You got 4 big areas surrounding hooch and while 50 something bears seems like a lot it's a drop in the bucket. They will be just as thick next year. Now if we could figure out a way to get rid of that many yotes! Think about how many crossed the boundaries and got away, and how many are still there that survived the hunt. I'm curious as to what the dnr had estimated the total harvest would be?
I've asked. Nobody seems to know. This was like shooting fish in a barrel. I'd be willing to bet half the population on chatt. Is gone now.

tree cutter 08

I've asked. Nobody seems to know. This was like shooting fish in a barrel. I'd be willing to bet half the population on chatt. Is gone now.
I'd doubt it. These days you go hunting and see all you see is bears especially this time of the year. I can remember when I started hunting you would go to the woods and see 8 or 10 deer, a couple of bear and a hog or 2 all in the same day if you did your homework. Whatever the balance was then was perfect. Very fun exciting days in the woods. Now if you want to kill a bear, you go find the sign and he will be there shortly. Deer or a good buck on the other hand is a different story. You'll work your tail of to make that happen.

Joe Brandon

That is more bear taken then in the last four of five years. That's awesome! I can't believe that many bear are in there. And yes that is a very high number but as mentioned it just goes to show the obscene amount of bear in the area. If anything this hunt has shown that there is a ton of work to do up there and this very much seems to me to be a step in the right direction. Hate that it cut into bow season but it was far more productive, and I mean farrrr more productive than anything we could have done. Wasn't a single bear taken from that WMA during bow last year. Honestly sorry I knocked it as hard as I did now. I proved to be wrong.

Last edited:

Christian hughey

That is more bear taken then in the last four of five years. That's awesome! I can't believe that many bear are in there. And yes that is a very high number but as mentioned it just goes to show the obscene amount of bear in the area. If anything this hunt has shown that there is a ton of work to do up there and this very much seems to me to be a step in the right direction. Hate that it cut into bow season but it was far more productive, and I mean farrrr more productive than anything we could have done. Wasn't a single bear taken from that WMA during bow last year. Honestly sorry I knocked it as hard as I did now. I proved to be wrong.
Sitting on hooch nf in the rain. Yesterday was very productive, seeing 5 deer 1 was a very nice buck that winded me from 150 yds out and skirted around me. No bears yet, waiting patiently. Cool weather has the deer on their feet atleast.

Heath

Wonder how much this study will be modeled after Zager and Beechams article about the role of American black bears and brown bears as predators of ungulates in North America?

They found that bear predation on fawns was typically additive to population mortality. However, bear predation had a much greater role where ungulate density was sparse and an even greater impact when ungulate numbers were very low and bear numbers high. The study shows that greatly reducing predator numbers is only a short term fix as habitat restoration has to occur as well to boost any population in ungulates. Hence the reason this season was introduced as a 2 year trial.

Looking back, the state has done everything it could to help boost harvest numbers over the past few years. They gave everyone an extra tag, and they lengthened bear season. Still, hunters couldn’t impact numbers enough for them to even start any research.

I’m typically very critical of our biologists and DNR. Not this time. Whatever you are trying to accomplish, this hunt was a rousing success for a multitude of reasons.

strothershwacker

Wonder how much this study will be modeled after Zager and Beechams article about the role of American black bears and brown bears as predators of ungulates in North America?

They found that bear predation on fawns was typically additive to population mortality. However, bear predation had a much greater role where ungulate density was sparse and an even greater impact when ungulate numbers were very low and bear numbers high. The study shows that greatly reducing predator numbers is only a short term fix as habitat restoration has to occur as well to boost any population in ungulates. Hence the reason this season was introduced as a 2 year trial.

Looking back, the state has done everything it could to help boost harvest numbers over the past few years. They gave everyone an extra tag, and they lengthened bear season. Still, hunters couldn’t impact numbers enough for them to even start any research.

I’m typically very critical of our biologists and DNR. Not this time. Whatever you are trying to accomplish, this hunt was a rousing success for a multitude of reasons.
10% of the hunters kill 90% of the game.....unless there's dogs involved.

strothershwacker

Whats done is done. Im interested in seeing where the DNR takes it from here. With the numbers posted I'm assuming every party got a bear or 3 or 4. Sounds like somebody shoulda been running a camara all week. Sure woulda made for some entertaining YouTube videos! To all that had the privilege to take part in it, ESPECIALLY the kids congratulations!

goshenmountainman

No Way! Have you ever even hunted that place? I quit hunting it about 10 years ago because every time I went all I would see is bears. That place use to have some great bucks and I have killed a few in my life there. It got to where you would go hunting, see four or five bear and no deer. And went from seeing deer trails to nothing but bear trails, I guarantee 60 bears ain't even a quarter of the bear that live there.

Buckman18

No Way! Have you ever even hunted that place? I quit hunting it about 10 years ago because every time I went all I would see is bears. That place use to have some great bucks and I have killed a few in my life there. It got to where you would go hunting, see four or five bear and no deer. And went from seeing deer trails to nothing but bear trails, I guarantee 60 bears ain't even a quarter of the bear that live there.

This right here.

I haven't even seen a deer TRACK during the 7 days ive bow and dog hunted there the entire bow season. I turkey hunted there the entire turkey season, until i tagged out in late April and didnt see a single deer, and I speck fished there all summer. Also, for work I commute from Habersham to Towns County. I havent seen a deer along the hwy for miles on the northern edge of the wma (hwy 75) in more than 5 YEARS...

The last deer I can actually recall seeing on the wma was back in January. Granted, there are a few deer that live lower on the wma around Alt 75, but I seldom frequent that area because its gets too much attention.

Ive seen bears on almost every trip to the wma.

Last edited:

Timberjack86

Must have been so easy, them dogs laid down and died! Would you be open to coming up for a hunt sometime? I’ll gladly dispel your fears of anything being easy about mountain hunting with a dog. I’ll even take care of 3 meals a day and you can kill every hog you can crawl and climb to. We won’t be able to kill bear but you can video or take as many pictures as you want. Plan on coming 3 days in a row and if you can make it through the 3rd day I’ll give you $500 bucks for your trouble. It will be an eye opening experience for you, I promise.
I will not leave my dogs ever again because someone can’t go any further, make sure you can cover 8-10 miles a day and come enjoy this easy hunting!
I'm down, when you wanna go? Your welcome to come hunt with us in TN. After 3 days I will be looking for my $500!! If you can hang with us that long.

Heath

I'm down, when you wanna go? Your welcome to come hunt with us in TN. After 3 days I will be looking for my $500!! If you can hang with us that long.

Thank you for the invite, the offer was for him because he thinks this is easy or unfair. Unfortunately, I don’t take fellow dog hunters because they typically show up with a tribe and lay claim to anywhere I’ve ever taken others through the years. I already have a few places I hunt in Tn. so no need for me to hinder you.
NC is about to open as well so you won’t have to worry about me on here for the next couple months. Hopefully, May or so before it slows back down. Good luck this year

Timberjack86

Thank you for the invite, the offer was for him because he thinks this is easy or unfair. Unfortunately, I don’t take fellow dog hunters because they typically show up with a tribe and lay claim to anywhere I’ve ever taken others through the years. I already have a few places I hunt in Tn. so no need for me to hinder you.
NC is about to open as well so you won’t have to worry about me on here for the next couple months. Hopefully, May or so before it slows back down. Good luck this year
Yeah I was just kidding you, I hunt with a buddy who has dogs, I haven't shot one yet. I want to kill my first bear just me and the bear. Dog hunting is fun and extremely demanding. It ain't easy. But I'm up for $500 anytime!!

Christian hughey

If anyone can come up with the final number checked in as of this evening let us know. Last I saw on here we were near the 60 mark. I think this is an insane number to harvest for 2 weekends. Great job hound hunters. I hope to see some good pics, maybe read up on it in GON next month. Not to say it's a cake walk but the results spoke loud and clear the dogs are the deciding factor in killing a mass number of bears. Wish I had a nose like that on me!!!!