Hounds and Bears

jbogg

I agree. I have been enjoying their channel as well. They also have some good deer hunting up around some of those old coal cuts.

Christian hughey

I like bear hunting as much as the next but that seems to take away from the sport of it a bit. Yeah it's cool they drove the whole family up the mountain and unleashed the hounds, walked 50 yards up the hill and shot him out of a tree. However you can get it done I guess, not trying to belittle the kill. Very nice ?. I prefer to see one on one stalks and still hunting videos. Leave the dogs to the coon hunters. Just my opinion though!

Hillbilly stalker

If you ever get a chance to go with hounds, take them up on it. I promise you it is anything but easy. I have been in 3 different counties running the same bear in the same day. Its mostly about the chase. The video is shortened alot so people will watch. Alot more are treed than are killed, probably 10-1. They have several still hunt/stalk videos also. Anytime one is treed next to the road like that, and the roads aren't horrible, they try to involve the family and youngsters. Its not for everybody...but its an addictive life style for sure.

Christian hughey

If you ever get a chance to go with hounds, take them up on it. I promise you it is anything but easy. I have been in 3 different counties running the same bear in the same day. Its mostly about the chase. The video is shortened alot so people will watch. Alot more are treed than are killed, probably 10-1. They have several still hunt/stalk videos also. Anytime one is treed next to the road like that, and the roads aren't horrible, they try to involve the family and youngsters. Its not for everybody...but its an addictive life style for sure.
I get that for sure always include the kids if possible and I'm not saying my way is the only way. There way is perfectly legal. I'm just the quiet you can't see me guy!

NCMTNHunter

Shooting a bear out of a tree is one of the easiest things you can do. Developing a pack of hounds that will stop a bear and put it up a tree is one of the hardest things you can do. That is where the sport is in any kind of dog hunting and it is impossible to capture that part on video. Just putting a perspective out there that most don't think about.

Christian hughey

my beagles run any trail they hit. But I havnt trained them specifically on any one animal yet think they would be fine tracking dogs with a little encouragement especially for deer they love deer. With today's technology you just have to keep up!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like bear hunting as much as the next but that seems to take away from the sport of it a bit. Yeah it's cool they drove the whole family up the mountain and unleashed the hounds, walked 50 yards up the hill and shot him out of a tree. However you can get it done I guess, not trying to belittle the kill. Very nice ?. I prefer to see one on one stalks and still hunting videos. Leave the dogs to the coon hunters. Just my opinion though!
You obviously have never been bear hunting with hounds. Some of the absolute hardest work I've ever done in my life. Scenarios such as you describe don't happen, at least they didn't in the years I was doing it.

Christian hughey

You obviously have never been bear hunting with hounds. Some of the absolute hardest work I've ever done in my life. Scenarios such as you describe don't happen, at least they didn't in the years I was doing it.
It not really a hard work thing I understand they get a workout. I was just stating that I like watching the one on one videos where you can hear a needle drop moments. 20 yards on the ground and you sling an arrow at him. Its a little more personal. Again not knocking what they do either. That dog will hunt!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It not really a hard work thing I understand they get a workout. I was just stating that I like watching the one on one videos where you can hear a needle drop moments. 20 yards on the ground and you sling an arrow at him. Its a little more personal. Again not knocking what they do either. That dog will hunt!
I've hunted them both ways, and it's both a lot of fun. You're gonna put in a lot more miles in a lot rougher terrain dog hunting than stalking.

ripplerider

I agree with the lot more miles statement but not the lot rougher terrain. That depends on where you choose to stalk. However, regardless of that, when you're stalking you're moving slow through rough country. When dog-hunting, you're running through rough country. Big difference. I've only dog-hunted one long week-end in my life. I camped and hunted with my ex-wife's cousins and uncles, who are from Robbinsville N.C., near Big Snowbird creek. Big country. I was 25 and in a lot better shape than now and it was a real challenge. I fell in love with that part of the world that weekend. I've had N.C. fishing licenses for two years now and would love to spend another weekend up there exploring all the trout streams but life keeps getting in the way. Someday soon I hope.

strothershwacker

A houndsman is more bout seeing em dogs in action than the kill. Least that's been my experience. Wether it's coondogs, hogdogs, beardogs or birddogs, workin with the dogs is their passion. Just look at what they spend on em rascals! Now as for me, I'm all bout the solo, silent slippage up on critters. Only dog I'm foolin with is corndogs and hotdogs. To each his own. Both are "right".

Hillbilly stalker

Hounds/dogs, get in your blood. Its hard to explain to someone who is not afflicted. Its about the chase and the bond between you and them. It like traditional Archery.....if it has to be explained.....you probably wont understand. Its nice to have a variety.

wildcats

I've hunted several times with these guys and it is non stop fun. Great bunch of guys. Josh, Chad and the Marcum brothers helped me take my first bear.
As has been mentioned. The conversation was always about the dogs.
Seeing first hand how worked up those dogs get and how eager they are to get the job done is an adrenaline rush. When the day is done you and those hard workin hounds are wore slap out! You really get to see just how hard a hound is willing work. Amazing what mans best friend can get through and continue to show the willingness to go that much more.
A good group of hounds is a prized possession.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the lot more miles statement but not the lot rougher terrain. That depends on where you choose to stalk. However, regardless of that, when you're stalking you're moving slow through rough country. When dog-hunting, you're running through rough country. Big difference. I've only dog-hunted one long week-end in my life. I camped and hunted with my ex-wife's cousins and uncles, who are from Robbinsville N.C., near Big Snowbird creek. Big country. I was 25 and in a lot better shape than now and it was a real challenge. I fell in love with that part of the world that weekend. I've had N.C. fishing licenses for two years now and would love to spend another weekend up there exploring all the trout streams but life keeps getting in the way. Someday soon I hope.
When you turn on a bear track, it heads straight for the roughest, steepest, thickest place that it knows of, usually involving hundred-foot rock cliffs and crawl-on-your belly laurel and rhododendron thickets.

Buckman18

When you turn on a bear track, it heads straight for the roughest, steepest, thickest place that it knows of, usually involving hundred-foot rock cliffs and crawl-on-your belly laurel and rhododendron thickets.

And will run for miles and miles. And sometimes multiple days. I’ll always cherish my NC Mtn days.

That said, I wouldn’t want dog hunting in the Georgia mountains. Way too many granola head transplants here now, it’d be nothing but problems. But we do have too many bears now, and hogs too. I think a spring bear hunt would be a very effective means of lowering the population so the deer can recover.