House lights flicker

sghoghunter

I work with a local co-op and deal with blinking lights quite a bit. Best thing to do is get which ever power co you have to come out and check their side first since it doesn’t cost anything and if they don’t find anything request to have them install a recording meter. Do you have underground or overhead service? If it’s overhead it could be as simple as a clamp going bad or limbs rubbing on a bare spot in the wire. If underground it’ll be either lugs in transformer loose or loose lugs in meterbase.

sghoghunter

May be a loose neutral in the breaker box or at the transformer.

99% the time on neutral problems the lights will get real dim or real bright and check all crazy voltages like 60 on one leg and 180 or so on other unless it’s balanced out in panel box. Usually to me a neutral problem is easy to find

Wire Nut

When the ac unit causes the lights to flicker I find that the hvac man has decided to hook up the outside unit instead of me or one of my workers. The wire needs to be sized to the max amperage on the name plate. Check that. Maybe it will help. If not there is nothing much me or any other electrician can do for you other than make sure every connection is secure in the panel and meter box.

cowhornedspike

It could be this for sure.
It could also be an imbalance in the panel.Observe which side the dryer is on and see if the other circuits on that side is effected..Will get you close to the issue.

Dryer is 220 and draws from both sides of the panel equally...it is irrelevent which side the breaker LOOKS like it is on.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
When we first got married (back when dinosaurs still wandered the earth) we rented a small house. Every once in a while half the house would drop out electricity. I checked everything in the house for good connections, and replaced several outlets and switches just to make sure. The power company would come out and check, and tell me we had power on both legs of the panel, so it was our problem.

Every time it would drop out, I would call them again. Finally one night around 9pm, it dropped out, and I called. They had a service truck less than a mile from us, and they hurried right over and pulled the meter pronto. The lineman checked, and lo and behold, no power on one leg. They got to checking and it was a loose connection at the transformer at the top of the hill 100 yards from the house.

I was watching him work, and when he would bump the wire coming from the transformer, it would arc in the connection. They ended up replacing the transformer ( said it was really undersized anyway) and redoing all the connections. We never had a dropped leg after that.

Spook

Yep, LED lighting can be a pain, if on dimmers even more of a pain, flickering is a known issue with them, you may try a few high amperage dimmers, sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

Wire Nut

Best advice I can give you or anybody else having electrical troubles, call a licensed electrician! Unless you also have gas the electrical system is the only thing in your house that can kill you and if you mess it up your family also. Please take it seriously. I'm sure everyone on this forum knows how to do electrical work and I might be able to do your job, but not like you can. You can't beat a man at his own game. Now that I have that off my chest and conciense, get a screwdriver and a pair of #9's and dig in!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Best advice I can give you or anybody else having electrical troubles, call a licensed electrician! Unless you also have gas the electrical system is the only thing in your house that can kill you and if you mess it up your family also. Please take it seriously. I'm sure everyone on this forum knows how to do electrical work and I might be able to do your job, but not like you can. You can't beat a man at his own game. Now that I have that off my chest and conciense, get a screwdriver and a pair of #9's and dig in!

your not married, are you?

Wire Nut

I am with 2 teenage kids. That's why I said messing up can effect your family. I have to go to bed every night knowing that if I don't do my job correctly that someone could get hurt

sparky

i have some led light flicker,i cant find a solution and i'm a licensed elec w 30 yrs ,
solved ,heater on Keurig coffee pot,on same circuit as kitchen lights,have seen it before with copy machines,did it with incandescent bulbs too

jrickman

Dimming is one thing. If you ever think they are getting brighter suddenly, call the power company right then. I had a squirrels chewing my neutral and barely caught it in time to prevent major damage. Power company showed up in less than 20 mins.

Mars

Our led lights flicker when when the A/C comes on. Its a little annoying but we've gotten used to it.

jav

Are you maxed out on breakers in the panel? I have seen panels where people piggyback breakers due to no available space. You may need to add a subpanel if this is the case. An electrician should be able to place a amp meter on the incoming power and check amp load compared to panel capacity.