How bout that .35 Remington?

simpleman30

A few years back I did some gun trading with a coworker. A few months later and another back and forth trade, I ended up with his Marlin 336 in .35 Remington (traded a Ruger LCP .380 for it... yes, I know, I basically stole it). I went to the stand with it this evening with my 3 year old son. We walked up on a deer in the feed patch between us and the stand at 5:00 and decided to go ahead shoot it since it was the first time my 3 year old and I have hunted together. My boy wasn't quite sure what was happening but he was sure happy to be there!

Anyhow, does anyone else on here hunt with a .35 Remington regularly? I know there's only a handful of production ammo options for it, if you can even find it these days. I can't find any ballistics charts online but from what I can tell, I should be good out to 150 yards or so with a 75 yard zero.

lampern

Older cartridge but will kill deer and bear just fine.

Definitely not a long range cartridge and shorter practical range than some muzzleloading rifles even.

chuckdog

You have what was my first "new" deer rifle purchased.

Never scoped mine. Never shot anything more than 75 or 80 yds.

I mostly used the Remington 150 Core Lokt ammo.

If like mine the trigger pull weight was close to the weight of the 336 itself, pretty heavy. Not that it can't do the job farther out, today I'd recommend using it as a 100yd woods rifle.

Mauser

I've killed a few deer with mine. I have been shooting 200gr corelokts in it and still have 2 boxes. Our local hardware store had 2 boxes or 200gr leverevolution so I grabbed them this week. Had been shooting open sights but I'm waiting on mounts to come in to put a scope on. I'll report back on them when I get the scope on and take a deer or two.

Nimrod71

A 35 is a real deer rifle. They are old but they will kill anything around here. My advice is to Never get rid of it, keep it for you Son. Always remind him of the story of his first hunting trip with you and the 35. Believe me when you get to be my age this will mean more to you than money and it will tie you and your son closer together.

simpleman30

I was able to snatch up a few boxes of ammo for it a while back before things got crazy. Thankfully, my neighbor loves to reload and he has .35 Remington dies and plenty of bullets, powder, and primer to go with my spent brass. He loaded some 150 gr. loads for me a while back and they shoot well. Haven't tried them in the field yet, as I'm sighted in for the 200 gr. Winchester soft points.

simpleman30

A 35 is a real deer rifle. They are old but they will kill anything around here. My advice is to Never get rid of it, keep it for you Son. Always remind him of the story of his first hunting trip with you and the 35. Believe me when you get to be my age this will mean more to you than money and it will tie you and your son closer together.
Nimrod, I'm glad you mention that. I want my boys to be able to hunt with a gun that means something to them and has a story tied to it that they can pass on to their kids. In fact, I have a leather bound journal for each of my 3 boys. I write stories about them and their lives as children and our experiences together every so often. Yesterday's hunt will definitely be written down for him to remember.

WaltL1

Nimrod, I'm glad you mention that. I want my boys to be able to hunt with a gun that means something to them and has a story tied to it that they can pass on to their kids. In fact, I have a leather bound journal for each of my 3 boys. I write stories about them and their lives as children and our experiences together every so often. Yesterday's hunt will definitely be written down for him to remember.
Thats very cool.
Those journals will probably end up being the most valuable thing you could leave them.

Nimrod71

Simple, you are making life time memories, for when you get old, memories will be all you have. Talking words is easy but they don't last. Written words can last forever. Your sons will look back on their journal and remember you and the times ya'll spent together and how thoughtful it was for you to take the time to write this for them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the old .35. I've never owned one, but always wanted one. A lot of the guys I used to bear hunt with toted them.

Darkhorse

I shot my first buck with a .35 Remington way back in the early '70's. It was a Marlin 336 with a weaver 2.5 power scope. Perfect set up for the majority of Georgia deer hunting.
I loaded Speer 180 grain flat points and they performed well. I don't remember the powder or the charge weight.
Henry has the new sidegate rifle available in .35 Rem. I'm thinking hard about getting one.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’d like to have a Henry in .35 and another in 45 lc

I hunt with a 35 rem now more than anything. It’s about perfect for most places I hunt. It hits them like a hammer. If you reload I recommend the speer 180 grain flat nose over a healthy dose of h335. I like the Hornady LeverEvolution 200 grain if I’m shooting a factory load.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

I have one, vintage 1974 Marlin 336, don't hunt with it very often, however, I do hunt often with another 35 caliber, 35 Whelen.

simpleman30

I have mine sighted in at 50. It's an inch 1" low at 100 and 5" low at 150. I love mine. Just wish it was a little lighter.

This is exactly the kind of information I was fishing for. Pretty sure this rifle is fine for my ability and shooting distance from most of my stands.

simpleman30

Ill trade you my LC9 for it. Think of the final outcome as upgrading your 380 to a 9 lol
I'd love to have an LC9, but I think I'll keep my .35 remington, lol. That trade was probably the best trade up I've ever made.

snooker1

I have been shooting the Marlin 336 35 cal for 18 plus years. Currently I am shooting Hornady LeverEvolution 200 grain. It goes with me every season. I scoped it a few years back (didn't want to) my eye 's are not as crisp as they used to be.

Attachments

• 30-30 and 35cal.jpg
    30-30 and 35cal.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 10