How do you "cure" Bamboo ?

Big7

The Oracle
I have access to a lifetime supply of bamboo and need to know what to do in order to dry and protect it for cane poles.

My crappie holes get going good in February and I need to cut and "fix" up about 10 poles up to fish.

Any info appreciated!?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can cut and trim it and just stick it up in the rafters somewhere so that it stays dry and doesn't warp. Grandpa used to hang them vertically from the tier poles in the barn with a weight tied to them to straighten them out as they dried. Bamboo also straightens easily with heat. You don't have to heat-cure them for a fishing pole, though. I usually do if I'm making arrow shafts.

Big7

The Oracle
You can cut and trim it and just stick it up in the rafters somewhere so that it stays dry and doesn't warp. Grandpa used to hang them vertically from the tier poles in the barn with a weight tied to them to straighten them out as they dried. Bamboo also straightens easily with heat. You don't have to heat-cure them for a fishing pole, though. I usually do if I'm making arrow shafts.

Do they need to be oiled, lacquered or varnished? That hanging with a weight makes sense.

Ima' cut a few this afternoon. It's walking distance from where ima' try and get a few dove for the grill. Over at the bamboo supply is a sub- station that's usually a good place to kick up a rabbit without a dog too.

Thanks in advance for any info.

PS... I need about 10 poles. I do want them to last. Might even put a yo-yo reel on 2 or 3.?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do they need to be oiled, lacquered or varnished? That hanging with a weight makes sense.

Ima' cut a few this afternoon. It's walking distance from where ima' try and get a few dove for the grill. Over at the bamboo supply is a sub- station that's usually a good place to kick up a rabbit without a dog too.

PS... I need about 10 poles. I do want them to last. Might even put a yo-yo reel on 2 or 3.?
It sure wouldn't hurt to seal it, but let it dry first. About any kind of poly varnish or a couple coats of Tru-oil will protect it for a long time.

Cmp1

BANNED

I'd be interested in seeing the finished product,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Be glad it doesn`t.
For sure. I have been fighting a patch of Chinese golden bamboo that my grandpa planted for the last fifty years. It's still winning.

Big7

The Oracle
Be glad it doesn`t.

It's not on my Uncle's land. Bout' .3 of a mile.
You are right tho'. My numb cousin brought some to that hoke 20 or so years ago. Very thick. Can't even squeeze a man through the middle.

Some are 10 or more inches at the base and prolly 50-60 feet tall. The wall thickness on some are 3/4" thick, maybe more. (NOT JOKING)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's not on my Uncle's land. Bout' .3 of a mile.
You are right tho'. My numb cousin brought some to that hoke 20 or so years ago. Very thick. Can't even squeeze a man through the middle.

Some are 10 or more inches at the base and prolly 50-60 feet tall. The wall thickness on some are 3/4" thick, maybe more. (NOT JOKING)
Timber bamboo/Moso. That stuff is great for backing bows, too.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’d like to have some cane pole length. Make up my nephews some poles.
Probably easier to buy but not as meaningful.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Native river cane (our native bamboo) makes some excellent fishing poles. So does Japanese arrow bamboo.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Big7

The Oracle
I’d like to have some cane pole length. Make up my nephews some poles.
Probably easier to buy but not as meaningful.

How close are you to Walton County?
I can cut you as much as you want.
Can't take nobody tho'.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
There was about an acres worth of bamboo close to my house, so thick you couldn’t walk through it. The land sold and the buyer runs heavy equipment, he dug it up and burnt it. Sounded like a war zone for awhile with all the popping. He brought in about 6 feet of dirt, he’s winning for now.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I've used bamboo fishing poles from early childhood until middle age. Most of the ones I used were made by a company in Mississippi, B&M maybe,they used to supply bait and tackle stores all around. It seems to me that B&M also had their name on Bream Busters. The poles were varnished with a distinctive spiral scorch line the length of the pole. The poles two drawbacks they were heavy and a trouble to transport in a cat or truck. The feel of a real bamboo pole is great,if you could fix up a few you probably would enjoy them very much. When I was growing up a neighbor fished with 18-20 footers for bream,he wore them out! A flyrod gives you more casting distance but a real bamboo with a hand size bream on the line will surely bring a grin to your face.