How do you do it??

M77 Ruger

I normally fish for the sport of it and when I do keep fish I normally eat them that day or the next day. So my question is with all the craziness going on with this Virus thought it might be a good idea to maybe catch a few Flounder, trout, red, sheepshead or Whitings And freeze some. Just wondering the best ways to go about doing this so they don‘t go bad or taste bad? So any info or methods Are appreciated.

Last edited:

jfinch

I have a vacuum sealer that i use and fish that freeze well keep 6-9 months no problem. Before that I just used freezer bags and squeezed as much air out as possible. Any air in the bag you would start to see freezer burn after a couple months. I have heard that covering the fish in water and freezing works good but I haven't done it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
150% agree to go with the vacuum sealer. You can get a Foodsaver for less than a hundred dollars that will last you for years. It's the only way I freeze fish, deer meat, and loads of other things nowadays. It is absolutely amazing how much better and longer fish keep in the freezer vac-sealed compared to frozen in water. And it doesn't take all day to thaw them out.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Sea trout, reds and sheepshead have froze very well for me! I use both methods described by jfinch, vacume seal or NAME BRAND freezer bag filled with water and fish and no air. And trout, reds, sheepshead taste just as good as the day we caught em.
Whiting also does very good freezing but I think they are best fresh!
Flounder has been mushy for me after thawing out from freezing. So I try to eat them fresh too and they're perfect.

plumber_1969

I just took out some trout (vac sealed) from last year and redfish I found from 2/18 that was froze in water. Both ate fine last night.

capt stan

vac sealer is the way to go. I pretty much only keep sheep head and cobia to eat. So I try n take 4 to 5 trips a year and load up on sheep. That keeps me in fish for the year..they are always good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Best way to keep em fresh is to keep em swimming till you're ready for them.
That works really well for flounder and redfish and sheepshead and such here in the Smoky Mountains. I think I'll continue to freeze them. :bounce:

fuelman1

I had some buddies come down in mid Nov and we bought a bunch of the really nice shrimp. We got 275lbs. I kept 75 for myself. I have a freezer full. I freeze those in bags of water and they'll keep for a couple of years. White Chimney River is across the street so I can walk over and catch fish if I need to.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
ha I can understand that.....I'm spoiled in that I am about 1/2 mile from the water. If you run out let me know.
I'm out of trout, reds, flounder. Ain't too proud to beg

Sharkfighter

I got a mess of Black drum 2 weeks ago,,,,

We ate one huge meal fresh and i froze 2 ziplock bags each with enough for a hefty meal for me and the wife. Ate one 2 nights ago and it tasted great. Still had good texture and everything. If I dont get off shore this week i will eat the other one soon.

I wouldnt trust it for months or years, and a vacusealer bag thing is the way to go for that, but the Drum fillets were fine for a short freeze in regular ziplock (no extra water)

Steve762us

Somewhere online I heard a variation of the freeze-with-water-in-ziplock,
and it's worked better. Filets seem closer to fresh, with firmer texture.

Freeze filets in ziplock, then add water the next day, squeezing out air
as you go.

Head shrimp before freezing, and do same way. Get a lot less punctures
in the bag that way, too.