How early is on time?

Bearit

Unfortunately opening weekend on public water is sure to be a rat race, I look forward to the opening morning every year, but absolutely dread sitting in a boat for four hours before shooting light. It seems to be what it takes to get the good spots now days. How early do you guys put in?

lancek742

Last year on opening weekend we thought we would be the first ones out and arrived at the ( secluded ) boat ramp at 3 AM and there was already 7 trucks with empty trailers there. I have no idea what time they started arriving but thought it was crazy. We decided to not hunt the lake this year opening weekend.

Silver Bullet

Back when I hunted, 2am was a pretty normal opening morning arrival time, but it didn't guarantee that you would be able to hunt your first pick of spots. 3:30 would get you most good walk-in spots at the coast after the opener. 4am was my average swamp wood duck spots. 5 am if I had a secret spot that no one else knew about. I don't miss getting up that early. I will say this. Everybody is excited for opening day. Don't ruin it for somebody by showing up an hour before legal light. That is no better than setting up a tree stand within 100 yards from somebody else or shutting your boat down to fish on a bank that you see somebody is already fishing. Getting up early is a part of the right of duck hunting. If you can't do it, find a private lease or stay at the house, in my opinion.

There are still public land spots on several of the WMA's that I hunt that you can walk in to an hour before time and be fine. If you find a spot like this, don't tell anybody about it. Don't over hunt it. Don't park to walk in to it at the same spot every time. It won't be a secret for long...
SB

Silver Bullet

"If you're early, you're on time.. if you're on time, you're late....if you're late, don't even bother showing up." -Lombardi.

ghadarits

I only hunt public land during the week after opening day hoopla has settled down and those are very select spots that aren't too pressured. I'd never try and go there on a weekend for fear of advertising it to more people than can hear my shots.

It seems like opening day is when everyone is interested and thinking about duck hunting. If I hunted public I would most likely skip opening weekend. By next week or next split it is not on everyone's mind like it will be tomorrow.
I always find it funny the pressure that we put on ourselves for opening day, and when January rolls around everyone is less fired up about duck hunting.
Late season for Georgia especially is when it is "crunch time" and ducks are in the area. Not many ducks in my area yet.