How I do a fattie

TrueBlueEagle

I know there are a ton of other ways to do it, and I was going to mention a little trick on how to do the sausage/hamburger roll. I dont currently have pics, but maybe I'll get around to smoking a fattie this weekend and I'll take pics of my process.

1lb ground meat = 1 gal ziplock bag

First squeeze your chub of meat (sausage, hamburger, venison etc)into a 1 gallon ziplock bag.
Flatten with hand as best as possible to distribute the meat,squeeze the air out and seal. Then use a rolling pin (i use a can of PAM)and roll it out so the whole thing is about 1/4-1/2" thick and fills the bag corner to corner.
Next take a pair of scissors or sharp knife and cut the sides all the way down to the bottom and unseal the top. Peel the top of the bag off and flip the whole thing over on wax paper.
Then I spread whatever toppings (Cheese, peppers, onions,etc) thinly across the entire square, leaving a little room around the edges.
Using the wax paper, start rolling it and peeling back the wax paper and when you're done you'll have a sausage/hamburger pinwheel full of toppings to wrap in the succulent bacon weave.

By no means is this the 'right' way, just another option if you have trouble rolling ground meat.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I know there are a ton of other ways to do it, and I was going to mention a little trick on how to do the sausage/hamburger roll. I dont currently have pics, but maybe I'll get around to smoking a fattie this weekend and I'll take pics of my process.

1lb ground meat = 1 gal ziplock bag

First squeeze your chub of meat (sausage, hamburger, venison etc)into a 1 gallon ziplock bag.
Flatten with hand as best as possible to distribute the meat,squeeze the air out and seal. Then use a rolling pin (i use a can of PAM)and roll it out so the whole thing is about 1/4-1/2" thick and fills the bag corner to corner.
Next take a pair of scissors or sharp knife and cut the sides all the way down to the bottom and unseal the top. Peel the top of the bag off and flip the whole thing over on wax paper.
Then I spread whatever toppings (Cheese, peppers, onions,etc) thinly across the entire square, leaving a little room around the edges.
Using the wax paper, start rolling it and peeling back the wax paper and when you're done you'll have a sausage/hamburger pinwheel full of toppings to wrap in the succulent bacon weave.

By no means is this the 'right' way, just another option if you have trouble rolling ground meat.

Gotta try that! Thanks!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Doing a Blue Cheese Fatty:

Attachments

• DSC02058.JPG
    DSC02058.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 1,852
  • DSC02060.JPG
    DSC02060.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 1,813
  • DSC02061.JPG
    DSC02061.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 1,885
  • DSC02062.JPG
    DSC02062.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 1,807
  • DSC02063.JPG
    DSC02063.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 1,831
  • DSC02064.JPG
    DSC02064.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 1,789
  • DSC02065.JPG
    DSC02065.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,829
  • DSC02066.JPG
    DSC02066.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 1,729

Jeff Phillips

What kind of sausage do you use that a lot of sausage but looks dang good

1# of any good sausage or burger.

I like to use Italian sausage, sometimes breakfast sausage, etc.

StriperrHunterr

Man, I'm glad I read this thread. Do you ever have any problems with the bacon shrinking or pulling during prep or cooking?

I presume you're using the bacon at a warmer temp than straight out of the fridge, right?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
SH, I've never had any problems myself with the bacon as long as you weave it tight to start with. And cold out of the fridge is fine, actually works better for me than warm bacon.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
How many people will that feed?
The Fattie goes on the short list.

Fatties are pretty much a snack food around here. We slice fairly thin and eat with crackers. Sorta like you would with summer sausage. That said, the slices are pretty good with a biscuit in the morning.