How I Spent My Morning

Taxman

Thanks for the pics! I am glad the Rainbows are re-establishing some.
Last couple years they seem to be fewer each outing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the pics! I am glad the Rainbows are re-establishing some.
Last couple years they seem to be fewer each outing.
It's odd. From reading and listening to older folks, seems like from the early 1900s up to the 50s and 60s, big rainbows like you catch out west were common in the streams in the Smokies. I can remember back in the late 70s and 80s when I started fly fishing, it wasn't unusual to catch 14"-16" rainbows now and then, and I saw a couple over 20" come from places like Cataloochee. Then, they just disappeared, as far as the big ones go. The last couple decades, the creeks have been just absolutely swarming with little 6"-8" rainbows, with a 10"-er being an unusually big one. I think it might have something to do with folks hardly ever keeping fish any more, and the creeks are full of stunted fish like a farm pond full of stunted bluegills? I don't know.

But, the last couple years, I've caught more 11"-14" rainbows than I have in the last decade and a half put together. About every time I've fished this year, I've caught or hung a good bow or two. I don't know why, but it's good to see. Hopefully, they come back like they used to be. Wouldn't it be nice to catch 16"-20" wild bows again?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Cmp1

BANNED
I'm moving upstream constantly. If they're gonna hit that fly, they're usually going to smack it the first drift or two through a hole, pocket, or run. I'll cover several miles of creek in a day's fishing. The key with trout is a natural drag-free presentation. With a dry fly or nymph, if it isn't moving drag-free at the same speed as the current, they're not going to hit it, and may flee under a rock. With a streamer, that goes out the window.
Thanks,,,,

whitetailfreak

It's odd. From reading and listening to older folks, seems like from the early 1900s up to the 50s and 60s, big rainbows like you catch out west were common in the streams in the Smokies. I can remember back in the late 70s and 80s when I started fly fishing, it wasn't unusual to catch 14"-16" rainbows now and then, and I saw a couple over 20" come from places like Cataloochee. Then, they just disappeared, as far as the big ones go. The last couple decades, the creeks have been just absolutely swarming with little 6"-8" rainbows, with a 10"-er being an unusually big one. I think it might have something to do with folks hardly ever keeping fish any more, and the creeks are full of stunted fish like a farm pond full of stunted bluegills? I don't know.

But, the last couple years, I've caught more 11"-14" rainbows than I have in the last decade and a half put together. About every time I've fished this year, I've caught or hung a good bow or two. I don't know why, but it's good to see. Hopefully, they come back like they used to be. Wouldn't it be nice to catch 16"-20" wild bows again?

With 2-3k trout per mile in many Smokies creeks I'll keep doing my part and keeping a limit of wild trout from time to time. I'm getting hungry just typing this.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
With 2-3k trout per mile in many Smokies creeks I'll keep doing my part and keeping a limit of wild trout from time to time. I'm getting hungry just typing this.
Had a mess for supper last night. :)

Taxman

Yeah, he was somewhere in the mid-teens. That big tail is like a Mercury outboard in fast water. Put up a heckuva fight on a 3-weight.
Well, I wont be using my 3wt up there this week. I dropped it in a deep pool
taking my son cat fishing. Used it to catch bait for him and it fell out of
canoe. 1k, gone!!!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Dang I hate that for you Taxman. I’d be dragging the bottom of that pool with a big ole treble hook. Make the bottom look like it was plowed

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Dang nice brown NCH! And Taxman, I am so sorry to hear that. Don't know what I'd do without my trusty 3 wt. I treat mine like a crystal wine glass since they don't make it anymore but I know the day will come...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I wont be using my 3wt up there this week. I dropped it in a deep pool
taking my son cat fishing. Used it to catch bait for him and it fell out of
canoe. 1k, gone!!!
Man, that sucks, bigly!