How long to wait for deer to like a tripod feeder?

Tight Lines

I have found that sometimes a feeder looks like a good spot to you, but the deer may not think that. I had one in a very slight depression with a berm on one side...they barely touched it...because I assume they could not see, hear, and smell well where it was sitting. Moved it to higher ground about 100 yards away and they were wearing it out...what other's have said too, lot of food right now...

Tight Lines

4 seconds at 4:00 p.m. is too short and too early, the birds the cones the possums and everything else that eats corn will eat it all up before the deer start moving. I run my feeder right now at 7:45 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. for 9 seconds each . and when it goes off they come running. Don't be scared to spend a little bit up front and then ease the timer back as they get used to it.
I found the opposite...I run mine at 8 & 4 for 4 seconds...pushes the deer to daylight vs. nocturnal and there isn't that much on the ground for them to keep feeding into the evening...I don't want to have them eat a lot of corn...I want to see and pattern them. When they run close to dark or in the dark I had a lot more issues with coons and hogs.

XJfire75

I have found that sometimes a feeder looks like a good spot to you, but the deer may not think that. I had one in a very slight depression with a berm on one side...they barely touched it...because I assume they could not see, hear, and smell well where it was sitting. Moved it to higher ground about 100 yards away and they were wearing it out...what other's have said too, lot of food right now...

That’s why I picked this area. It’s a little further up the hill from the cabin that I had a gravity feeder 100 yards from last year. Had tons of pics but wanted to get it away from the cabin if I stay the night and need to park nearby plus access was tough with it in the middle of the clear cut basically. Now it’s down a slight hill on a point of newly planted pines and had a ton of activity crisscrossing this point all season last year. Was hoping to set this up and have a 30 yard shot for my 6 year old to hunt in youth season. I’ll give it a few more weeks then back up and punt.
C54FF61C-21F7-4F36-8EF1-D952A0131143.jpeg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
That’s why I picked this area. It’s a little further up the hill from the cabin that I had a gravity feeder 100 yards from last year. Had tons of pics but wanted to get it away from the cabin if I stay the night and need to park nearby plus access was tough with it in the middle of the clear cut basically. Now it’s down a slight hill on a point of newly planted pines and had a ton of activity crisscrossing this point all season last year. Was hoping to set this up and have a 30 yard shot for my 6 year old to hunt in youth season. I’ll give it a few more weeks then back up and punt.
View attachment 1164820
Got much water around it? Could always put a tank out...

XJfire75

Got much water around it? Could always put a tank out...

60 yards from a runoff creek that stays wet and a legit flowing creek less than 200 yards. Good browse nearby in new growth from the last year’s cut and cover in the creek bed. Thought it checked the boxes necessary. Had good velvet pics nearby last summer and get a doe group daily just up the hill from a leftover camera on a salt block. Crazy

Davexx1

I suggest moving the feeder away from the wide-open clean ground and place it somewhere in the scrubby area like in the background of the picture. That would put your feed in a more natural setting with trees and brush around. I suspect your deer don't like coming out into that wide open area and the feed on the bare ground is not exactly in a natural setting.

Adjusting your feed times closer to daylight and dark would probably help also. Deer are more active during that first and last hour of daylight.

Deer may be hesitant to approach a new feeder, but they will eventually get used to it. You can accelerate that process by hand scattering alot of corn out around and away from the feeder.

Hope this helps.

I suggest moving the feeder away from the wide-open clean ground and place it somewhere in the scrubby area like in the background of the picture. That would put your feed in a more natural setting with trees and brush around. I suspect your deer don't like coming out into that wide open area and the feed on the bare ground is not exactly in a natural setting.

Adjusting your feed times closer to daylight and dark would probably help also. Deer are more active during that first and last hour of daylight.

Deer may be hesitant to approach a new feeder, but they will eventually get used to it. You can accelerate that process by hand scattering alot of corn out around and away from the feeder.

Hope this helps.
I agree with this right here .. good advice

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Never have problems getting decent bucks to mine. Run mine for 6 sec. 30 mins after daylight and a hour before dark. Eventually though, the 3+ yr old bucks will start coming in to the feeders at night too.

Attachments

• Crabby2.JPG
    Crabby2.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 7