How many acres per hunter?

Junebug

With all the talk of lease prices on the rise and many clubs needing to add members to simply pay the lease, is anyone concerned about the number of acres per hunter getting too low? Seems like 100 acres per hunter (or better) used to be the norm. How many acres per gun do you like to have?

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
like you said..........

Junebug said:
With all the talk of lease prices on the rise and many clubs needing to add members to simply pay the lease, is anyone concerned about the number of acres per hunter getting too low? Seems like 100 acres per hunter (or better) used to be the norm. How many acres per gun do you like to have?
AT LEAST 100........ :) :pop:

Randy

100 is great but the terrain really depends also. 50 on a thick bow only place works fine too.

GeauxLSU

I'd say the average density is MUCH higher than 1 hunter per 100 acres now.
As far as preference, it COMPLETELY depends on the land. Some land with plenty of good timber and drains where really everything is huntable, can handle much higher density. Some land where it's 90% 5 year old pine trees can't handle even 1 gun per 100 acres if they are all centered around the SINGLE creek on the property with may 25 acres of huntable woods.
But yes, I agree, densities will likely continue to increase as they have for the last several years.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Taylor Co.

I Will Agree With Most.

100ac./ Hunter... But Will Agree That In Bowhunting Since You Do Not Cover As Much Area 50ac. Is Plenty.

SlipperyHill Mo

Are you talking about 100/member or 100 acres/hunter who shows up?

There is a big difference. Habitat and terrain dictate what is optimum.

With 100 acres per hunter, you would have to pay at lest $900 per member if not a lot more. $15/acre = $1500+ per mmber.

Junebug

Randy said:
100 is great but the terrain really depends also. 50 on a thick bow only place works fine too.
Randy; I agree. Bow-only is a bit different.

I just did a little math and was a somewhat surprised; 30-50 acres per gun seems very common on leases nowadays; some are even lower than that. There are also some that are more than 100ac per hunter.

If you looked at the number of hunters that apply (and are accepted) on WMA quota hunts and the sign-in only/public land hunter numbers (season total) I wonder if you'd see similar ratios.

Last edited:

Meriwether Mike

I would prefer 100 acres per member. I have yet to get in a club with this ratio though due to cost, being black balled, etc. My current lease has 62 acres per member.

01Foreman400

Staff member
My Washington County Club is 54 acres per member, dues are $400.

My Johnson County Club is 91 acres per member, dues are $850.

Darrell

MCBUCK

I'm on 1200ac with 15members//80ac per. At 500$ each, and I ain't complainin. All mountanious/ridge & valley but I'm pretty happy but a lot of work is left to do (mgmt)

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I would love a 100acres per hunter! But, I've never been so fortunate on private leases. Bowseason on Cedar Creek WMA is a different story!!

This year isn't to bad. We have about 67 acres per hunter.

Tommy

whitworth

How much acreage?

I hunt when I can on public land. I found with a little hiking, I could get a whole area to myself during the week and sometimes the weekend.
The times I hunted leased timberland, the hunters had the whole acreage "measured and marked".
Perhaps leased timberland gets more experienced hunters and woodsmen, and there is less likelihood of getting lost on leased land. Plus, unless restricted by club rules, a hunter has no reason not to check out most of the land.

Maybe it's psychological. Hunters may be less apt to check out a large area of public land because of its "unlimitedness." Limited by size, the leased tract might seem smaller, as more hunters, are crowded into more limiting quadrants.

Public hunting areas may be more public, but more private due to the desire of many hunters not to hunt more than 200 yards from a trail or road.
The places I found great were the small tracts that hunters, generally, thought would not support a population of deer. 50 of these acres can be great to the lone bow hunter.