How many deer do you need?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Spring that is a great idea!!!! Those familys can use the meat i am sure.

I usually end up with 3 deer. Last year 2 deer and 3 hogs. Since my sister has 5 kids i can pretty much shoot all i want. It takes a lot of meat to feed all those youngens!

H

HT2

Big.......

A couple of deer in the freezer would be more than enough for me.......

I usually take 2-4 does every year.........2 for me and then I have friends I give some to.......

And, if a good buck comes by I'll take him..........But, he's gotta be a good one........Didn't take one last year and it's been 2 years since I took a good buck.......If I can't take a good buck, I won't take one........I let a whole bunch of bucks walk over the last couple of years........Maybe, just maybe this year, one of them I let go will have grown up to a "BIG BOY"........ :)

tbasko

Two to three will get me through the year. My son loves deer meet, the wife would do with store bought crap and all its preservatives,

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
bigolebuck said:
I see that you guys/gals are allowed 12 deer a year.Just wondering :
1-How many do you actually harvest?
2-How many would you like to harvest?
3-How many do you need to feed the family?
I try to get at least 5
I would like to get 5 Does and two bucks
2 usually does it for me because the wife does not eat it and my girl is only two so theres hope for her yet.

The extra go to folks in the community that need meat and if I can and they need moe then I will shoot more.

Dub

Jim Thompson said:
4-5 for food 1-2 for the wall:D ....which means 4 does a year for me
:rofl:

I took three last year and we ran out in the spring. Ideally, I would take on or two quality bucks and 6-8 does. I know some folks who will gladly take every one that you drop off at the processor. It tickles me to death to see nonhunters and even the anti's drooling when they ask every year, "Make sure not to forget that we love those backstraps and tenderloins....bring some by when you can.......". It makes my day!!!! Heck, I even give them my own straps and loins just for the pleasure of knowing that I'm slowly...one bite at a time......enhancing their understanding of part of the reward for a successful hunt. I think they know which role they'd play were we to revert to the hunter/gatherer system again. :cheers:

GAGE

GONetwork Member
4 total, 3 for the family and one for HFTH. I would like to get 2 of those with my bow and the others with a ML and my rifle.

I would like 2 with tenderloin and the rest hot sausage and 1 jerky and links.!

jason308

3 will usually do me to eat myself, and I would like to have one or two to give to some folks, as well as one for HFTH or another organization like that.

Browningbowhunter

I have a pretty large family and only I and my uncle hunt so we would ideally kill 2 or 3 does a piece and a couple hogs. Pretty much everybody in the family eats it so none goes to waste.

GTHunter007

Its just me and my wife. And I keep 4-5 deer a year. Kept 4 last year and only have 2 pounds of ground deer left right now and 2 roasts. As for the numbers I shoot, last year I took 7, and I gladly will take 12 if I can get em. We have just 4 guys on our club besides guests so it really is important to our ratio that we take as many does as we can. After I have my 5 deer in the freezer, the rest go to my processor and a few older people I know who enjoy some free deer meat. My processor has people come in every week during deer season that do not hunt who love deer meat and are willing to pay the processing fee to get it. I find this helps us out nicely.

Oak Ridge

We can get by on two for now. My kids at home are 9, 8 and 3. They tear it up, so when they are older, I'm gonna have to hunt harder! No matter if I only get one, I just have to share with my neighbors and friends that don't hunt! They love to see me coming! :bounce:

short stop

the limit 12, plus the ones my son shoots . I feed a family of 5 and then any other loaner kids that happen to be around at suppertime :pop: . we usually go thru 15 -20 deer by the end of July. A 100lb doe will only give you around 30 lbs of meat after you debone . thats not alot of meat .I cut my own no processor required---- and with the price of beef $$$$$$$$$$. I will shoot all the does I can . and hunt nearly everyday --job perks :D I hunt for the the bruisers during rifle season but have the luxury of hunting other farms w/ very high doe pops as all the high rollers$$$$$$ want to shoot only bucks .

fasn8nmom

Between 3 of us hunting we usually try to take about 7 per year. That is what it takes to feed my family of 6. If we end up with any left we will donate it to the battered womens shelter or to the abused boys home in Cartersville.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Well, I take about 4 or 5 a year.

I shot 5 last year and my wife and I are down to two packs of cubed steaks, 1 pack of ground, and 1 pack of tenderloins.

It's just us two eating all of it!!! Well, maybe a few friends over for dinner as well!!

I guess that's about what I need to feed the family. If we have kid's that eat deer meat like us, I may have to try for the limit!!!

Tommy