How many hunts on same stand

hunter84

I hunt public land and I don't really have any set time's I hunt that spot before trying another .
I was wondering what everyone else does ,If I'm seeing deer of course I make multiple sits but how many sits not seeing something do most change. And what about when you go to a new spot and don't see anything how many sits do you give it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I hunt one of the same two stands on every hunt. My box blind was built in 97, I just put a ratchet strap around it the other day to hold the walls together. Will rebuild it after season.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
No matter what I’m seeing I’m constantly moving , I can’t stand looking at the same thing more than a couple sits . I’ve got a couple hundred acres of private land ,and a lease and I find myself out in my little John boat often hunting public land .

James12

Man, had I followed this no see no sit again, pattern I’d a missed out on some big deer. But I agree too, I also like to bounce around.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I hunt public land and I don't really have any set time's I hunt that spot before trying another .
I was wondering what everyone else does ,If I'm seeing deer of course I make multiple sits but how many sits not seeing something do most change. And what about when you go to a new spot and don't see anything how many sits do you give it.

Trying to figure this one out too so I’m paying attention! Sounds like to each so far. But. I’m trying to move around more. And if I see deer I’ll end up back in same tree over and over. I do like a new view, but lately I’m not finding the sign. I have been seeing some deer in the usual places they like.

DynamicDennis

If every doe that comes in gives you the death stare/stomp/blow, move on. If it is just a single deer that busts you every time, get some groceries

slow motion

If every doe that comes in gives you the death stare/stomp/blow, move on. If it is just a single deer that busts you every time, get some groceries
Agreed. If they have become accustomed to seeing you in that stand you can use that to your advantage. Get downwind 50 or so yards. Sometimes pays to do that anyway. Just by being there you change things and they notice. I have several stands you can see another stand from. I've got 6 in a thick 10 Acre area of creek bottom.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually try not to sit more than a couple sits in a row at the same stand before resting it awhile. It doesn't take them very long to pattern you.

DynamicDennis

If this weekend was rifle hunting, I would have shot this old nanny 6 times. She got a pass because a did want to have to reload in the stand. She will die though, mark my words

My daughter sat there Saturday AM for the first sit of the year, said she was stomping at her. I sat stand Sunday AM, she gave me the works stomp/blow the whole deal. Then she ate 4S for 10 mins,walked toward the stand in a thick area where I thought she moved on. Couple mins pass, I turn my head a little, shes 20yards in front of me finally blows and runs off.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If the food is there and the sign is there and the wind is right, I hunt there without a second though. In order of importance, wind, food, sign, because if the first two are there the third will be there eventually.

This. ^

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
With me, it also depends on access-can you get to the stand without leaving a bunch of scent where the deer will be walking?

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I rarely hunt the same spot twice in a season, deer or not. Just get so bored looking at the same trees over n over again.

Latest posts