How many inches can a man add

Jim Boyd

Not to shabby

As mentioned, SRS is a vast area of largely unpressured ground.

I would expect 170+ are in there.

No remarkable surprise.

That is most assuredly a great area to be adjacent to.

Luke.Deer.Commander

What’s your habitat type? What type of current management are you running? Have you read Mississippi State’s publications on genetics and antler growth. Give a listen at their podcast as well. Your habitat is the biggest factor. You’ve got to provide quality habitat with quality forage and the rest is up to Mother Nature. Don’t fall for the protein scheme. Manage your native habitat and manage your herd and that usually is a recipe for success. The environment helps express how antler potential is determined. The environment makes up 55% of a buck’s antler expression. A lot more goes into antlers than protein. You can grow quality deer on a fairly low budget with prescribed fire.

SRShunter

What’s your habitat type? What type of current management are you running? Have you read Mississippi State’s publications on genetics and antler growth. Give a listen at their podcast as well. Your habitat is the biggest factor. You’ve got to provide quality habitat with quality forage and the rest is up to Mother Nature. Don’t fall for the protein scheme. Manage your native habitat and manage your herd and that usually is a recipe for success. The environment helps express how antler potential is determined. The environment makes up 55% of a buck’s antler expression. A lot more goes into antlers than protein. You can grow quality deer on a fairly low budget with prescribed fire.
Thanks man, the habitat is pines and oaks...white and red oaks. The pines were mature and really shaded out the under brush. We just cut probably half of our property, just the pines and left the oaks. I noticed a lot of poke weed this past spring and the deer were utilizing it well. I saw where poke weed is one of the highest protein level weeds. I believe between that and age is where some of the mass is coming from on our property next to Savannah river site. I understand we grow deer from our dirt and I'm working very diligently to make it better?

SRShunter

Its basically a sandhill, there is one waterhole on the property. Now across the fence in SRS is a huge pond with more swamp type land around it. The dirt is surprisingly black and rich looking so it looks promising when we get our pH right!!!

SRShunter

At times yall lose me and talk over my head.. lol but from what I'm getting from you, a man can do a lot with just proper foodplots and control burning not so much on the protein feed

Luke.Deer.Commander

Thanks man, the habitat is pines and oaks...white and red oaks. The pines were mature and really shaded out the under brush. We just cut probably half of our property, just the pines and left the oaks. I noticed a lot of poke weed this past spring and the deer were utilizing it well. I saw where poke weed is one of the highest protein level weeds. I believe between that and age is where some of the mass is coming from on our property next to Savannah river site. I understand we grow deer from our dirt and I'm working very diligently to make it better?

Awesome job. I’m sure you can reach your goal with all I’ve seen you posting. Just do your research before falling in the protein trap. It can be a good thing when you’ve done all you can do on your native habitat. Good luck!

spencer12

At times yall lose me and talk over my head.. lol but from what I'm getting from you, a man can do a lot with just proper foodplots and control burning not so much on the protein feed

Food plots and protein will certainly help, but in my opinion native forage and as mentioned above quality habitat is far more important. Focus on improving the habitat (which is seems you have by cutting the pines) and your deer will be healthier.