How much difference do we make?

buckpasser

I was speaking with my Dad today, and he mentioned that “turkeydoc”, Dr. Chamberlain, wrote in an article recently that trapping really won’t help turkeys much because the nest predators back full so quickly.

Give me your opinion? How much are we helping turkeys? How much are we helping deer? Is this sport something you do to promote certain wildlife species, or do you do it for other reasons? I know it’s not for the money, unless you have a paying client! Haha!

Give me your thoughts.

furtaker

I trap for the challenge and enjoyment of it. I also like to think that I'm helping the deer, turkeys, and other game a little bit. But we must remember that a predator and prey relationship is natural in nature and necessary for the ecosystem to survive.

I just enjoy being in the outdoors.

Doug B.

I really don't know if it is actually helping or not. There have been studies that show that the more you catch, the more there will be. I don't know. There seems to be less coyotes where I trap. There is not as much coyote sign in those places this year either. Is it cause I'm that good of a trapper? I doubt it. Maybe a cycle? I don't know.

280 Man

Banned
Studies can show a lot of things and while they will always be predator/prey relationship there will also need to be predator control in some form. There's no doubt that coyotes have a detrimental effect on fawns recruitment rates.

However, coyotes are just part of the problem. Habitat loss and liberal limits also play a part in the decline of deer populations.

Whether trapping or not helps depends on the area being trapped IMO. All I know, I am going to continue tapping the wiley coyote as long as Im able. Ive seen results on my little piece heaven.

buckpasser

I believe it helps. The place I manage was never trapped. Two years ago, you could set a trap just about anywhere on the place and catch a possum or coon. Year 2 it was still pretty steady, but I chalked that up to being better at trapping. Year 3 and the numbers are truly down. Less sign, less sightings, less catches. Is it a cycle? Maybe. It seems to me that there are residual results much longer than was suggested by the “doc”.

As for coyotes, it seems pretty complicated, but as far as I can tell, if you can leave a remnant or the family group that is strong enough to defend the property from transients, but remove a bunch of hungry mouths, that has to be a win for the fawns. I think timing is critical though. I believe coyotes should be removed in late spring/early summer and nest predators now for best results.

Besides that, I would likely continue doing it even if not for the promoting of other species, because it’s so darn enjoyable.

280 Man

Banned
While they will be those to believe otherwise but my goal in trapping yotes is to create a void if you will during the fawning time. I simply try and give the fawns a span of time where they can get a little age and size. A few weeks without yotes "breathing down their necks" can make or break their survival.

willie1971

hard to say for sure, but it sure teaches me a lot about the outdoors than i would ever learn from hunting and checking trail cameras for game animals. it gives me something to do after the holidays. it's expensive to do as a hobby, but i think it helps a little. it seems like prey and predator populations are up and the critters are adapting. i've been practicing with water trapping since it's been so wet, but it's been fun learning about beaver and otter. i reject the opinion that trapping coyotes lead to more coyotes, but everybody has an opinion, so i'll keep on trucking.

sportsman94

My school of thought is that timing is everything with trapping. Like others have said you are there to create a void at the right time that allows young prey animals to build up their defenses in a lighter pressure area. I also believe if you can intensively trap a larger area you create a larger void that takes longer to fill so it would be more beneficial to trap 1000 acres than 10 obviously if you can do it efficiently with enough traps. Makes sense that the more mouths you take off the land the bigger litters that the existing females would be able to have. More nutrients going to less mouths would make them healthier and make the litter sizes bigger.
With all that being said, landowners I have trapped for believe there is a difference pre and post trapping years in the prey species numbers.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I say it’s got to help , that’s my story and I’m sticking to it ! One thing for a fact I went from having coyotes on trail cam every day or so to one once a week or longer . And from 5-6 raccoons in my feeders to one occasionally . I can’t wait to see what it does to trap the same property for a few years in a row .

dfurdennis

I myself just getting into trapping because the guy that trapped our property last year got out of the club... Have to believe it makes a difference. I get excited when I see one on the trap even though it is a lot more work than I thought it would be...but it's so worth it. Between the last two season he and I have taken 14 yotes, 5 fox, 4 bobcat of course his numbers way exceed mine with his experience, we are on 1200 acres and the deer movement has increased dramatically since the trapping efforts began...will let you know about turkeys after the season. I don't know if this is a direct result of trapping but I think it is.

mossyoakpro

I'm speaking from true experience here..on our 1800 acre farm in Dooly County we were very seldom seeing does with more than one fawn and a bunch with none at all. I started a trapping regimen 4 years ago and have taken over 40 coyotes and probably 25 cats off the property. The last 2 fawning seasons we are now seeing every doe with a fawn and most with twins...I'm not a "doctor" but I do know from first hand experience that I have helped our deer population in a positive way. Just because you have some letters behind your name does not make you smart....you were just fortunate to go to school for a while....I'll take my woods smarts over that any day. My $.02

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
If your successful at it year after year. You will make a difference. I don't care what anyone or any study says.

Speaking of studys. Ive seen atleast one study that claims you could end up with more coyotes in the end. If you check into the group that published the study. They are not hunting friendly.

I can see where your level of success would depend on several factors. Number of traps, amount of land, timing etc. etc.

buckpasser

Come on guys, we must blindly believe the science. All scientists are completely objective and you know it. Now please excuse me. I’m very busy these days tearing down my 1970s coming ice age bunker and replacing it with a green technology heat resistant shelter and grow room...

sleepr71

How can removing hungry predators NOT help? I will admit that I give Foxes & Bobcats a pass,as they are rare around me. Especially Red Foxes. Coyotes & Coons are in abundance & expert predators,and also have no problem killing our chickens,or outside Cats. I kill every Coyote,Hog & Coon I can...

willie1971

Come on guys, we must blindly believe the science. All scientists are completely objective and you know it. Now please excuse me. I’m very busy these days tearing down my 1970s coming ice age bunker and replacing it with a green technology heat resistant shelter and grow room...

I am a chemist, took so many chemistry classes that would make your head spin. It irks me that so much "science" has been corrupted by politics. When people quote "science" it just makes me laugh. Science proves nothing. It is not absolute. This makes me more cynical, as science SHOULD. Sorry to be off topic - let's kill some beavers.