How much do antlers mean to you?

Wetzel

If it were illegal to shoot bucks, and antlers were illegal to possess, so only antlerless deer could be shot, would you still hunt the same, more or less?

Would you get as excited about the opening of season if you were only hunting antlerless deer?

Last edited:

Racor

There are antlerless deer? :eek:

Would still hunt. Just would fill my tag on day one.

gabuckeye

I would still hunt some as I enjoy my deer meat but i would take out my 2 or 3 does early and go back to fishing.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
No way I would pay today's lease prices just to shoot Does.:D

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Woody said:

that would be the tough part. Although I will shoot as many does as the next Joe, I am always on the lookout for big boy

marknga

GONetwork Member
guess all that corn wouldn't get sold since all it does is help with antler development :D

Yeah it would change, I like the anticipation, waitin on ol' mossy horns to come thru.
(But we do like our backstraps)

Mark

BBurn

Illegal to hunt bucks??

That would be like going to watch girls play football! :crazy:

But then again, I do love them girls...and the backstrap as well. :cheers: :yeah:

RJY66

The antlers don't mean that much to me. If I can get a big fat doe or a decent sized young buck, I'm a happy guy. For instance, once I was invited to hunt with a friend on his club, and I pretty much made up my mind I was not going to shoot any bucks even though they said I could. I would not have felt right getting lucky and shooting a hoss when they were paying the money and putting in the work to have a place to hunt. I got my doe and later on in the hunt saw a nice 6 pointer that I probably would have shot if it would have been on my place. Even though I did not shoot him, I enjoyed watching him mill around and do his thing. I think I would have felt the same way if he were really big.

I love being in the woods, seeing deer and other wildlife, and for sure eating deer meat.

Headshot

I would hunt about the same. Got some decent racks a few years ago. Now I shoot only does hoping two nephews can get a nice wall hanger. BUT if a +12 pt. drop tine walks within range -- I'll take a shot and it won't be a headshot. I just love being in a tree from Oct. - Jan.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Can't eat the antlers and it is all about the experience (still like a nice rack every now and then) :yeah:

Buzz

Woody said:

But then again you WOULDN'T be paying today's lease prices to shoot doe. I have no evidence to back this up but it is my opinion that "antler worship" is a factor that is driving up lease prices. Check prices on the Flint River Valley compared to say Floyd County on the Coosa River. There are many deer in both places but the Flint River produces much larger antlers.

Last edited:

Pineapple

Antlers don't mean nothing. I hunt because I can. I love being in the outdoors.

Its all good.

Beehaw

Woody said:

Great point, but I agree that lease prices would be cheaper if bucks weren't allowed. It is basic supply and demand: as long as somebody is paying it, owners will charge it.

I think I would hunt just as much. I really enjoy the hunt and the meat. The last two years almost all of my hunting was on a trophy club that allowed me to shoot does only. I had a ball, and learned a lot, watching mature bucks that I normally would have shot doing their thing.

It is a strange feeling to see a deer moving through the woods and then feel disapointment when it is a BUCK! I was proud to tell the member that lets me hunt that I had let a doe walk because there were bucks on the food plot and I didn't want to spook them.

When antlers are off limits it really changes your attitude!

dominantpredator

I 'll say it since no one else will. I would wait and and wait and wait . Then BOOM.....I would get my buck anyway. I am going to kill one buck in Georgia every year , reguardless of what kind of laws are imposed on us.

sr.corndog

hOW MUCH DO ANTLERS.....

I have a bucket full of antlers largest 11 point. My point is I hunt to provide for my family. Enough said but does are sweeter in taste and my family reather eat does over bucks. :flag: