How often should one take Communion?

SBG

brofoster said:
SBG,

How do you interpret the scripture as far as the frequency?

Acts 2:46 records where the apostles did this daily. It wasn't done exclusively on the first day of the week.

From what I read, it appears that the first Christians did this at every meal.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
brofoster said:
To honestly answer your quesition I don't know. That is why I try to stick to the Bible and not my own feelings and thoughts on issues like these.

Probably the best advice given in a while, since there is no PRIVATE INTERPRETATION of the scriptures. Thank you for pointing that out Brofoster.

PWalls

Chrisw said:
Probably the best advice given in a while, since there is no PRIVATE INTERPRETATION of the scriptures. Thank you for pointing that out Brofoster.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is only one correct interpretation of scripture. However, what we will disagree on is whether or not that interpretation is yours or mine.

Through your study of scripture and through prayer, did you come up with the correct interpretation? Or, through my study of scripture and through prayer, did I come up with the correct interpretation?

That is why we have doctrinal differences and denomination differences.

brofoster

PWalls and ChrisW I agree with you both. Many claim that others "misinterpret" the Bible. That is quite possible, but I am quite certain that God knew what he meant when he gave the scriptures. That is up to us to "translate" (find the real meaning) and not "interpret" (give it our own meaning).

SBG

brofoster said:
PWalls and ChrisW I agree with you both. Many claim that others "misinterpret" the Bible. That is quite possible, but I am quite certain that God knew what he meant when he gave the scriptures. That is up to us to "translate" (find the real meaning) and not "interpret" (give it our own meaning).

I agree wholeheartedly!

The problem occurs when there is an area of disagreement and one side or the other classifies the other's belief as sin...unless of course, the other side is obviously in error.

gordon 2

From how often to take communion, to the meaning of communion and the " right and wrong interpretations" of scripture, sin, "translate"vs "interpret". Bible based directive vs own feeling and thoughts.????

From which compass or (GPS satelite) do we stear our course as sons and dauthers of God? From what we know of Jesus' or the deciples days , what or how would Christ say or do? How about the apostle Paul? What would he say or how would he say about communion to your (Brofoster) specific question in 2006?

I don't recall any case that Jesus communicated to people with a scripture based "interpretation" or "translation". I don't think he spun webs of logic, or emotions from what specific directives this prophet said, or which scroll said to do this or that. His involvement with what people asked, did or said, was in many cases at odds with those who held to the "law" in scripture, or with what those who said the scripture said to do this or that, or those who held to the Letter of the Law and stated: "and you Jesus are doing just the opposite!!!!"

How often do we do religious office? is perhaps one question that Jesus or Paul would have dismissed as being personal to the individual and specific to a church. I can think of Jesus healing the sick on Sunday and being taken to task because scripture, or Moses said....etc. The idea that "times" and "frequency" was the bulk of the carpentry of a question about spiritual truth would have been dismissed in a loving way and redirected to "if you have the Father or Christ in your heart"... our communion is never to fail, sort of answer.Questions of the time of Endtime was also dealt with in this way by Jesus.

The Apostle Paul would write, To the Church in Georgia, on the Subject of the Frequency of Communion and would expound on love or grace directed will or spirit with cerebral strength and handsome style and probably never mention scripture at all.

Jesus would probably say, "Who touched my clothes?" Mark 5:30 Or someting like this.... "He who has ears to hear let him hear. This is what the Kingdom of God is like... Stretch out your hand. The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men.Take it this is my body. Watch out for the teachers of the law. Simon are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? The spirit is willing, the body is weak. etc..."

Gordo

Last edited:

brofoster

Gordon,

Of course Jesus would not speak of interpretation or translations because as soon as someone did not understand what he really meant it was usually time for a parable. Since we do not have that type of guidance today we are left to figure it out, because I believe that we can and often get it wrong. I never said that I agreed or disagreed with the opinions expressed. I do respect all opinions though. I listened to what was said, gave scripture to offend my position and if someone doesn't agree; what do I do? Hey you're not right and you're going to pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie? NO. Never. I am a Marine gunner and sniper by trade, but in my current capacity I work in human resources and relations. If it is one thing that I have learned is that everyone's opinion is valid if it is what they believe. It also has worth, atleast to them, and therefore deserves dignity. There are three things that I can do with someone's opinions and advice:
1. Think about it.
2. Use it.
3. Throw it away.

I always try to leave fellow believers intact at the end of the day. At least they are in the fight and I respect that. I may not agree with them but atleast they are not out fighting for some of the perversion of our society today. Many times we won't agree but instead of falling out about it I just pray.

cowboyron

brofoster said:
I am opening this thread for comments before I put my thoughts out there. I have been going around with a young "pastor" about it.

I have not read any other post ....yet. My reply is every First Day of the week this is what I get from scripture.
I will now go back and read. ;)

Last edited:
body and blood of Christ

brofoster

The scriptures read in Acts 20:7 that upon the first day of the week the disciples came together to break the bread that Jesus had instituted in Mathew 26:26.

reylamb

The scriptures read in Acts 20:7 that upon the first day of the week the disciples came together to break the bread that Jesus had instituted in Mathew 26:26.

Are you certain, the breaking of the bread is the same in both chapters? Not in the English, but in the Greek. Are you certain? If so, why not mention of the cup when the apostles got together on the first day?

Joe Moran

We take communion every Sunday morning.

Not criticizing anyone's beliefs, but just don't understand churches that don't serve communion at every service. How can you "over do" the cup & the loaf, in remembrance of our Lord & Savior?

SBG

How can you "over do" the cup & the loaf, in remembrance of our Lord & Savior?

This is not meant to knock anyone's practice...

To answer your question Joe, if the Lord's Supper is so ritualized that it becomes a habit as opposed to a cherished ordnance, then it has been over done.

But taken in consideration, the partaking of the "cup and the Loaf" is a matter that requires personal reflection and evaluation. So, in regards to how often a Church administers the ordnance is not the problem. The problem arises from the individual and how they regard the ordnance.

Tim L

Every week; just as Jesus said at the last supper "as often as you meet, do this in remberance of me"...I know some would say that would include any organized chruch service (wednesday night and sunday night as well) and I would have no problem with that...

leroy

This is not meant to knock anyone's practice...

To answer your question Joe, if the Lord's Supper is so ritualized that it becomes a habit as opposed to a cherished ordnance, then it has been over done.

But taken in consideration, the partaking of the "cup and the Loaf" is a matter that requires personal reflection and evaluation. So, in regards to how often a Church administers the ordnance is not the problem. The problem arises from the individual and how they regard the ordnance.

Well put SBG.