How old was this tree?

Ugahunter2013

Just curious what number other people come up with compared to me. How old do y’all think this tree was going by the rings?

IMG_4512.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to tell for sure from the pic, especially in the outer sections where the growth slowed down a lot and the rings aren't clear, but looks like 65-ish.

DannyW

Yeah, hard to tell. I counted at least 50 rings for sure.

It really slowed down growth at about year 20. Interesting to see the good years and bad years.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I could see a little over 50 with bad eyes. LOL

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the time, there are several tiny little skinny rings right in the center, too. It usually takes them several years to get growing good.

Redbow

Not as old as I am that's for sure but I would say 55-60 years.

300 Mag

Not wanting to hijack your thread but I find it funny that I just took a similar photo last weekend and was thinking the same thing. This is from a top limb of a white oak that fell on our family homestead. The property has been in the family over 100 years. I've yet to get to the main trunk. Spit up nicely.

Attachments

• 20240114_154133.jpg
    20240114_154133.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240115_124440.jpg
    20240115_124440.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 37

Anvil Head

Just a note - Tree growth did not "slow down" towards the end. Just more surface to cover with relatively same amount of growth. Got to think about it. Very common assumption to make. Of course some years are gonna be better, others worse. You can actually see droughts and floods if you study them closely and correlate with weather records from the past.

That's a huge persimmon - only ebony that is native to North America. Must taste real good to borers, they attack logs left on the ground faster than most any other hardwood especially if the bark is still on. Beautiful dense hardwood if treated properly.

Ugahunter2013

Here is a recent picture of the same butt end of the log. It’s amazing how the color of the wood has changed so much.

IMG_4661.jpeg