How stupid small do photos have to be to post????

godogs57

I'm trying my best to post pics of my last elk hunt and with Adobe Photoshop I have sized my low res photos down to ZERO on "image options" and they are still too big. In the past I've kept my nice pics at maximum resolution (10+) and copied a low res pic for posting. A 2 or 3, low image option, has worked previously but now nothing will post.

What the devil is going on?

georgia_home

Last few pictures I did were downsized in paint. Resize and make them a lot smaller. Had to experiment on the exact percentage, but maybe well over 50% shrinkage. Maybe 80? It’s been a while.

godogs57

Also, if the original image was captured at a very low resolution to begin with, it's hard or nearly impossible to make the image look "sharper" without making it look fake or doctored.

I dont think image quality (resolution) is your issue though.

As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
No...they were captured with my Canon EOS 5D mk III, 23.4 megapixels

godogs57

When you say down to ZERO, are you referring to the "JPEG quality" option box you get when trying to save your image?

What version of PS are you using?

If I understand your question correctly, it's not neccesarily the "compression type" for your image as much as it is the pixel size ratio.

Try this:

1) Go to Image> Image Size
2) In that box select Pixels as your units
3) Take the larger of the 2 numbers (width or height) and bring it down to an even 1000 pixels, but make sure "constrain proportions" button is checked so that the image will scale proportionally, you should see the image actually resize on screen
4) Save the newly resized image as JPEG with a unique name to distinguish it from your original file (don't accidentally overwrite your original image).

I hope this helps. I hope I understood your question.

Thanks. Yes, I have two pics on file in some cases where I’ll be posting here. I’ll name them something like “Beautiful sunset” and “Beautiful sunset, low res” so I know the difference. It’s frustrating, as this has never been a problem before now.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I use a program call pixresizer. You just tell it the photo you want to resize, and what size you want it. Takes about 2 seconds.

72241799_1972816026196096_6625053784986877952_n.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can post good high- resolution photos. Just resize them to 1000x800 pixels, and they post fine. I post thousands of them. It takes about two seconds to resize a pic? I use Photoshop
also, I just resize them to 1000 pixels wide, hit "save for web" and put the image "quality" slider on about 38 or so. Good sharp pics with lots of detail, plenty big enough.

speck4.jpgbow5.jpg

8-point-2016-4.jpg

millipede.jpg

Last edited: