How to be a crappie fisherman?

ringorock

Not, crappy. I can do that on my own.

So, I've been out to the Toona for the past couple of weekends to fish for bass and channel cats only catching a few here and there. I keep seeing these guys go out and land crappie after crappie.

So, how do I do this? I have a few crappie lures. Jig heads with spinny tails, fly looking things, grubs. What size hook should I be using? Should I be slow reeling? Should I just bump the rod from time to time. What's the technique?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I catch most of them trolling or casting little jigs-curlytails or sliders on 1/16 oz or 1/8 oz jigheads. You need to find the structure that they're holding on, crappie are usually very structure oriented. They are on deep brush piles, bridge pilings, deep docks, and such this time of year. And fish slow.

StriperrHunterr

I catch most of them trolling or casting little jigs-curlytails or sliders on 1/16 oz or 1/8 oz jigheads. You need to find the structure that they're holding on, crappie are usually very structure oriented. They are on deep brush piles, bridge pilings, deep docks, and such this time of year. And fish slow.
Yep, when you think you're fishing slowly enough, slow down more. Also, expect snags. You need to work close to cover some days and others you need to be in it to win it.

pbradley

Not, crappy. I can do that on my own.

So, I've been out to the Toona for the past couple of weekends to fish for bass and channel cats only catching a few here and there. I keep seeing these guys go out and land crappie after crappie.

So, how do I do this? I have a few crappie lures. Jig heads with spinny tails, fly looking things, grubs. What size hook should I be using? Should I be slow reeling? Should I just bump the rod from time to time. What's the technique?

Invest some time on youtube. Learn the basic, broad patterns - prespawn, spawn, post spawn, fall and winter. Other than spawn specific times, on most reservoirs you're going to be fishing deeper structure, looking for brush or timber. Bridge pilings are a good attractant.

So are boat docks, and many docks will have brush around or near them.

I use primarily plastic tubes designed for pan fishing, in a variety of colors. Mostly 1/16 or 1/32 ounce jig heads.

Plain ol crappie minnows fished on a #2 gold hook with a small split shot, under a float is always a good choice.

Join a couple of crappie fishing forums on facebook. You can learn a lot. If you take (learn something) be sure to reciprocate. Share what you did and share pictures, too.

Cmp1

BANNED
I'm a newbie at it also,,,,couple guys on here,like Dutch,Trad Bow have helped me out,,,,also check out Gene the fishing machine on you tube,,,,

Structure,structure,structure

Cmp1

BANNED
A few pic's of the suggestions I got from the guys here,,,,I've been using them on a small roadrunner under spin,,,,35E0341F-DE2C-477F-80DD-F0107F17BAC8.jpeg

ringorock

I'm a newbie at it also,,,,couple guys on here,like Dutch,Trad Bow have helped me out,,,,also check out Gene the fishing machine on you tube,,,,

Structure,structure,structure
Yea, I've already found Gene the Machine. Thanks!

Cmp1

BANNED
I will say,try to find an Eagle Claw IM-7 UL rod,man I love that rod,,,,just got it this spring,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
Might hit the same lake as a couple weeks ago that I posted up,,,,close by and a lot of Northerns in there,,,,mostly hammer handles though,,,,

StriperrHunterr

I was up at Five,,,,ready to go,,,,
You slept in. I'm gonna be dragging tail when I come back after this night trip. My body's been set in "go to bed at 830 so I can get up at 4 and be energetic enough" for the last few weeks. Friday is gonna be a tough one...