How to DE-SPOOL a Fishing Reel in 2 minutes with a Drill

HydraYak

So I've got an Offshore Angler GDC-30 Reel that I had spooled for saltwater fishing (40lb test).

However when I used it for reef and drift fishing last year in the gulf of mexico (pensacola), I quickly realized that this reel does not have the brakes for saltwater reef or pelagic fish. In all honesty, I probably won't buy any more of the budget Offshore Angler Reels. So... i've decided to convert this setup to a striper rig (for Lanier), pair it with an Ugly Stick Striper Rod with 17lb test.

I quickly realized that it was going to take all day to de-spool the reel. So I used a drill and a screwdriver to speed the process up!

j_seph

So I've got an Offshore Angler GDC-30 Reel that I had spooled for saltwater fishing (40lb test).

However when I used it for reef and drift fishing last year in the gulf of mexico (pensacola), I quickly realized that this reel does not have the brakes for saltwater reef or pelagic fish. In all honesty, I probably won't buy any more of the budget Offshore Angler Reels. So... i've decided to convert this setup to a striper rig (for Lanier), pair it with an Ugly Stick Striper Rod with 17lb test.

I quickly realized that it was going to take all day to de-spool the reel. So I used a drill and a screwdriver to speed the process up!
LoL
I put 10 rods in the holders, pull off line from each one and tie together and do this all at once

j_seph

Easiest way is to just find some wake boats playing, throw an old hook into the bushes then as they come by go across and let line out. When they come back through they will strip it off for you and quit playing, sort of 2 birds with one stone effect bahaha

greg_n_clayton

I use a plastic drink bottle with a small bolt with a nut to hold it through the cap !

LTZ25

Easiest way is to just find some wake boats playing, throw an old hook into the bushes then as they come by go across and let line out. When they come back through they will strip it off for you and quit playing, sort of 2 birds with one stone effect bahaha
:D

RamblinWreck

1 liter Pop bottle with sheet metal screw from underneath the cap, no nut needed, chuck in and spin..

Bubba_1122

Great idea on how to strip the line off.

A big question is what do y'all do with your old line? (not a great idea to just put in the trash cause at the landfill all manner or critters and birds get tangled up in it and die a slow and rough death).

I typically either put it in a large coffee can, squirt it good with lighter fluid and burn it or I'll cut it so no piece is more than 4 to 6 inches long.