How To Do A Mineral Lick

gtmcwhorter

My buddy that owns Deer-Lix always recommends not hunting over them for a fear of baiting charge if your in north. I've heard some folks say that once they are set up, filled and washed that it's not considered baiting, but even greenjeans don't have a clear cut answer, so I wouldn't chance it. We use ours in known high travel areas, funnels, etc.

Hunt&Fish

Hog's Will eat your salt

If you have hogs in your area be aware that hogs will eat your salt lick all year long, especially if it contains molasses. They have eaten two 50 lb blocks of salt out of my lick during deer season this year. I know it's hogs because I can see the lick from my shooting house and I've seen them going at it. I've seen lots of deer walk by the lick in October and November and not one has stopped at it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My buddy that owns Deer-Lix always recommends not hunting over them for a fear of baiting charge if your in north. I've heard some folks say that once they are set up, filled and washed that it's not considered baiting, but even greenjeans don't have a clear cut answer, so I wouldn't chance it. We use ours in known high travel areas, funnels, etc.

If there is no "attractant" visible you are good to go.

Fly Rod

Thanks for this post. I started one at my club a couple of weekends ago. I am looking forward to the next few months to see how it progresses and see what kind of pics. I get. Again thanks.....

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Found a "natural lick" at West Point WMA twentyfive or so years ago that was formed from and old farm house that must have had a salt box back in the day. Nothing left to the house but a few rock pillars that were around the lick. I was so turned around and lost when I found it that I have never been able to find my way back to it. No GPS back in those days. It was well used.

hiawassee1

never done one before, other that mineral blocks from TSC at the house. Is there any real benefit, or mainly just like an attractant? May try 1 on the lease this year. Also thought I read where molasses is not healthy for deer?

whchunter

Di Cal

Di Cal isn't cheap anymore. Go price em......... No No:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
never done one before, other that mineral blocks from TSC at the house. Is there any real benefit, or mainly just like an attractant? May try 1 on the lease this year. Also thought I read where molasses is not healthy for deer?

For what you pay, yes there is some benefit. It's better than plain salt. If you want to spend big $ there is other stuff available.

Don't know about the molasses being bad for deer. It dissolves faster than the salt and trace minerals so it gets watered down pretty quick.

FootLongDawg

I use the same recipe as Elfie except I use powdered strawberry or grape Jello mix instead of molasses. Two or three boxes per hole. The smell is irresistible to the deer.

csu41826

Does Anyone that lives in the henry county area that has maybe tried this know where I can get a 50# bag of dicalcium phosphate? The only place I found had it for $47. Has it gone up that much?

Killdee

Iit has gone up a lot along with fertilizer, was 11$ when I first used it in licks 20 years ago.

2degrees

The deer crave the mineral during the spring. They are putting on antlers and carting for the young. Latter on in the year oct/nov they do not need it as much. Like cows I think they eat and crave what they need. If you are going to use it now is the time. ...from what i have heard.

BornToHuntAndFish

Good helpful reminder.

flopper

I've made good mineral licks in south Cherokee county with success but on my new club in Wilkes we have a bacon population that I would rather not promote in any way... What do you do about licks with hogs in the area... make them anyway? Also can the hogs congregating in the lick area spread anything to the deer via the #1s and #2s?