how to finish off deer during archery season

sb1010

I noticed threads about recovery, what if the deer is still alive when you find it. I assume you can't use a carry handgun.

Shoot with bow again?

I haven't archery hunted yet. I was going to start this season but an injury is delaying my plans.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In NC, you can legally dispatch one with a .22 pistol. I don't know about GA. I have finished a couple off over the years by sticking them with a knife, but it's a good way to get skint all over and hoofprints on your chest.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I have used the baseball slide down the back stretch. Although not recommended it can work.

Kdad

Yeah, that's a tough situation, shoot again if u can get one it. At that point I try to be accurate but I see it as, another one anywhere is better than just one that didn't hit good. Again, be as accurate as u can but it may be the last time u see it if it all goes south. I've had 4 different fights with deer n NCHillbilly is right, 2 nice racked bucks, a spike n 1 doe, she bout beat me 10 ways to Sunday!!!?? My neck hurt for almost 2 weeks n I thought her hooves made a new hole for my tongue to use to lick my neck. ?? 3 were dispatched by a quick knife job and one took a close head shot. Definitely all very sketchy situations and I cannot express how careful to be, each fight was with 1 other hunter n after the first fight, I never did underestimate a deers strength, no matter how weak they "looked".

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

It doesn’t happen very often at all with Archery. Occasionally with a gun. I’ve been in 3 knife fights with a deer.....and I’ll never be in another. I had a 4 point about kick me to death one night. Them hooves feel like the business end of a framing hammer. Put another arrow in it or let it go out on it’s own. It ain’t worth it to fight it and get hurt yourself. All my fights were with gunshot deer.

Kdad

Yessir Stalker!!! U know what I'm laying down!!! U NEVER forget those types of lessons...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A deer is a lot stronger and meaner than it looks, for sure. I didn't realize they will bite you either, until my buddy got his arm mauled by a big doe that he had in a headlock trying to cut its throat. It bit him all up and down his arm, broke the skin good, too. He finally got it killed, but he looked pretty rough for awhile.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A deer is a lot stronger and meaner than it looks, for sure. I didn't realize they will bite you either, until my buddy got his arm mauled by a big doe that he had in a headlock trying to cut its throat. It bit him all up and down his arm, broke the skin good, too. He finally got it killed, but he looked pretty rough for awhile.

I broke the back of a 8pt as a kid.
I figured grab his horns and cut his throat. Well he about pulled me in and then front feet where tring to hit me. I just backed off and shot it. ?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I spined one once, and it dropped in it's tracks, then it started trying to get up, but it's back legs weren't working. It gave up after trying for 5 mins or so. I climbed down, and got as close as a dared, and shot it again with another arrow in the boiler room and finished it off.

Not one of my better (first) shots, but ended up with a nice 7-pt in the truck.

Permitchaser

Years ago I shot a small buck right in the shoulder with a 30-06. He hit the ground then head came up balling. Shot him again in the neck, still balling. Took 3 shots
my bow kills have been DRT I still have time left to screw up