How to get started duck hunting?

AkM99

As I sit in the deer stand this morning, I think to myself, “I’d really like to get into duck hunting.” Thing is, I’ve never been and don’t really have anywhere to go unless I go to the wma. I’ve already got a 12 gauge.

If y’all have any tips or suggestions on how to get started in this, I’d really appreciate it.

across the river

I would start wherever you are deer hunting. If there is a creek or beaver pond on it, then you likely have a wood duck or twenty using it or at least flying up and down it to get where they are getting. Figure out where the ducks are hanging out, buy some steel
shot and a duck stamp, and go back the next morning and shoot them when they fly into that spot. Don’t by calls, decoys or any of that stuff. If the creek isn’t that big, you probably don’t even need waders. It doesn’t take a lot to get started, and I killed a pile of wood ducks without decoy or call one. It is when you get hooked and decide to expand beyond shooting woodies in the creek or beaver pond it starts getting expensive.

kingfish

Just start reading about it. Go to google and type in there, what you just typed in here. Take it slow. If your sole purpose is to post limits on social media, you're starting out wrong. As much as I LOVE deer hunting, I'm a duck hunter. Learning is by baptism. You have a shotgun, now go find out where wood ducks hang out. Every WMA in the state has a creek, slough, cypress or beaver pond where you can hunt them.

Goatman70

My biggest tip would be to lower your expectations of seeing ducks and just appreciate the experience. It's fun whether you're shooting or not. The occasional duck/ducks to take home are a bonus. Don't go out of state, you'll never be the same