How to get to east side of Jekyll

I put in at McKay River bridge and want to run to east side (ocean side) of Jekyll. It seems that if I run past Golden Ray and take a right after passing the golden ray, I encounter sandbars that are going to make me run aground. But when looking at the chart for cutting in between the Golden Ray and the north side of Jekyll, it is really shallow there too. So what’s the best way?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 57DA94F5-D0BC-43F4-B8D4-133980DE2114.png
    57DA94F5-D0BC-43F4-B8D4-133980DE2114.png
    643.8 KB · Views: 83

pic217

You can get through that gap between the island and that closest sand bar. I am not sure if you can do it with a negative low.

HOBO

Like PIC217 says above, there is a slough probably 75-100 feet wide between Jekyll beach and the first bar that is navigable on low tide by the average saltwater recreational fishing boat.... I have the track saved on my gps and I am comfortable running it all the tides with my 22' Pathfinder... Common sense tells me I probably shouldn't attempt this passage on an extreme negative -1.5' tide with a strong NW wind blowing... It is fairly easy to see where the water is rushing through this sough and the waves are breaking on the bar...

A word of caution: Once you do pass through this slough headed SE continue to hug the beach for at least another 1/4-mile or so because there are several more of the sandbars just offshore...

Good luck!!

---------------<" ){{{{*><

Steve762us

Keep in mind the "boating safety zone" along Jekyll--probably that red "T" line
in the pic--1,000 feet out from mean high water line, May 1st to Sept 30th annually.

Don't know what the fine/penalty is, but probably not fun.

"Except for lifesaving, emergency, law enforcement, or dam operation and maintenance craft, it shall be unlawful to launch, float, or operate:

(1) Any power boat within the boundaries of those boating safety zones defined in subsection (a) of this Code section..."

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-52/chapter-7/article-1/52-7-13/