How to Hunt Black Bears in December

P6smSKC

I have never seriously tried to hunt black bears here in Georgia. I found a bears den on a WMA last year along with some scat but never saw the animal(s). I have deer hunted most of my life but am clueless with bears. I have heard look for white oaks in September but I don’t bow hunt anymore due to an injury so gun hunting November and December is kinda what I do now. I know someone who recently got a bear while deer hunting and sparked my interest in trying to get one.

From what I understand they don’t really hibernate here but just move less during really cold spells or when food is scarce but they still move around. I’m not looking for any spots or anything cause I have a few areas Ive seen sign, just wondering how to hunt them this late in the season. Is it like deer where you focus on travel areas between food and cover? What do they eat when the acorns are gone and there’s not much out there? Are they like deer where they are active at night and your best bet is early morning and right before dark? Any tips on what to focus on or how to pattern one late in the season would be appreciated.

tree cutter 08

Don't mean to talk you out of it but finding one this year in northeast GA mountians is gona be one of the hardest things you could do. No acorns and food to amount to anything. Might find one in a clover plot if it warms up but I doubt it. Need to get your bear hunting done by Halloween . I'd scratch the idea and plan for next year.

P6smSKC

Ok thank you. Two of the people I hunted with last week saw multiple bears, one was taken. Which is why I asked. Seems like this area they were moving pretty good. Something we have never seen while deer hunting this area before.

tree cutter 08

Don't know where you are, public or private and don't want to know but they have been stacked up thick this year in places they usually are not . Food is the ticket

35 Whelen

A sow and her three cubs spent around 30 minutes in the backyard eating hickory nuts this afternoon.

P6smSKC

Well I for sure want to actually go out and try for a bear next season. This season I guess I’ll just keep deer hunting like usual and if I get super lucky and see a legal bear while deer hunting I’ll take one. In all the years I’ve hunted I’ve never seen one so odds like mentioned above are super low but it sure would be cool. I’ve never tried bear but I do have a front shoulder from the one taken last week that I need to cook up and try.

jrickman

I’m seeing some signs of them still out and moving up around the NC border in Towns and Rabun.

duke13

I have never seriously tried to hunt black bears here in Georgia. I found a bears den on a WMA last year along with some scat but never saw the animal(s). I have deer hunted most of my life but am clueless with bears. I have heard look for white oaks in September but I don’t bow hunt anymore due to an injury so gun hunting November and December is kinda what I do now. I know someone who recently got a bear while deer hunting and sparked my interest in trying to get one.

From what I understand they don’t really hibernate here but just move less during really cold spells or when food is scarce but they still move around. I’m not looking for any spots or anything cause I have a few areas Ive seen sign, just wondering how to hunt them this late in the season. Is it like deer where you focus on travel areas between food and cover? What do they eat when the acorns are gone and there’s not much out there? Are they like deer where they are active at night and your best bet is early morning and right before dark? Any tips on what to focus on or how to pattern one late in the season would be appreciated.
I guess that means no one will be at chattahoochee this weekend? :) :)

chrislibby88

Well I for sure want to actually go out and try for a bear next season. This season I guess I’ll just keep deer hunting like usual and if I get super lucky and see a legal bear while deer hunting I’ll take one. In all the years I’ve hunted I’ve never seen one so odds like mentioned above are super low but it sure would be cool. I’ve never tried bear but I do have a front shoulder from the one taken last week that I need to cook up and try.
Shot a bear last year out of my honey hole deer spot. It can happen. The deer hunting is good early December in most of north GA, focus on that. Bears early, bucks late.

P6smSKC

Since Pinelog is being sold off there is high potential this weekend is the last hunt for big game there… that being said I guess it doesn’t matter I share my plans:ROFLMAO:

Several bears seen and one killed up there (unfortunately not by me but people I know) on the hunt in November while deer hunting. I have two deer already and so would rather focus on a bear…no matter how futile it may be. I understand all we discussed in the posts above, however I have a couple more questions. I know it will be very difficult and highly unlikely to come across one this late in the season but I know there are areas that border the WMA that have fields, and feeders out (private property hunters and hunt clubs) and I am sure the bears are visiting the corn piles just like the deer do. The trick is to figure out the route they take back to the WMA side from the food to their den and catch them moving.

Couple questions:

If you know where a den is, is it worth hunting close by to catch one coming or going from it or would a den more than likely just be used by a mama bear and cubs? (I know those are legally off limits as well as ethically not right to take)

Is it worth while to deer stand hunt a heavily used game trail high up on a ridge top back in a secluded area surrounded by private property, or better use of time to just stalk slowly through the woods into the wind peaking over ridges here and there?

Dont get me wrong, I would shoot a nice big buck if I saw one but I really would be happier shooting a nice black bear at this point. If I was to focus on deer I would hunt from a stand but I almost think for the bear I would need to be covering lots of ridges in the morning making sure to walk into the wind.

Any more advice or opinions on this or have I just asked the same dumb questions a different way than the above post? :unsure:

splatek

UAEC
Personally I’m a ground guy. Thing about bears is if you see one feeding of a ways you might be able to get up on it so long as you have the correct wind.

ddd-shooter

Since Pinelog is being sold off there is high potential this weekend is the last hunt for big game there… that being said I guess it doesn’t matter I share my plans:ROFLMAO:

Several bears seen and one killed up there (unfortunately not by me but people I know) on the hunt in November while deer hunting. I have two deer already and so would rather focus on a bear…no matter how futile it may be. I understand all we discussed in the posts above, however I have a couple more questions. I know it will be very difficult and highly unlikely to come across one this late in the season but I know there are areas that border the WMA that have fields, and feeders out (private property hunters and hunt clubs) and I am sure the bears are visiting the corn piles just like the deer do. The trick is to figure out the route they take back to the WMA side from the food to their den and catch them moving.

Couple questions:

If you know where a den is, is it worth hunting close by to catch one coming or going from it or would a den more than likely just be used by a mama bear and cubs? (I know those are legally off limits as well as ethically not right to take)

Is it worth while to deer stand hunt a heavily used game trail high up on a ridge top back in a secluded area surrounded by private property, or better use of time to just stalk slowly through the woods into the wind peaking over ridges here and there?

Dont get me wrong, I would shoot a nice big buck if I saw one but I really would be happier shooting a nice black bear at this point. If I was to focus on deer I would hunt from a stand but I almost think for the bear I would need to be covering lots of ridges in the morning making sure to walk into the wind.

Any more advice or opinions on this or have I just asked the same dumb questions a different way than the above post? :unsure:
Most hunting clubs that border usfs don’t bait during season so their members can harvest bear legally. At least the ones I know about.

Latest posts