How to Hunt Black Bears in December

Since Pinelog is being sold off there is high potential this weekend is the last hunt for big game there… that being said I guess it doesn’t matter I share my plans:ROFLMAO:

Several bears seen and one killed up there (unfortunately not by me but people I know) on the hunt in November while deer hunting. I have two deer already and so would rather focus on a bear…no matter how futile it may be. I understand all we discussed in the posts above, however I have a couple more questions. I know it will be very difficult and highly unlikely to come across one this late in the season but I know there are areas that border the WMA that have fields, and feeders out (private property hunters and hunt clubs) and I am sure the bears are visiting the corn piles just like the deer do. The trick is to figure out the route they take back to the WMA side from the food to their den and catch them moving.

Couple questions:

If you know where a den is, is it worth hunting close by to catch one coming or going from it or would a den more than likely just be used by a mama bear and cubs? (I know those are legally off limits as well as ethically not right to take)

Is it worth while to deer stand hunt a heavily used game trail high up on a ridge top back in a secluded area surrounded by private property, or better use of time to just stalk slowly through the woods into the wind peaking over ridges here and there?

Dont get me wrong, I would shoot a nice big buck if I saw one but I really would be happier shooting a nice black bear at this point. If I was to focus on deer I would hunt from a stand but I almost think for the bear I would need to be covering lots of ridges in the morning making sure to walk into the wind.

Any more advice or opinions on this or have I just asked the same dumb questions a different way than the above post? :unsure:
Speaking of pine log/ I had a fatty black bear come rolling down next to me the first day of this weeks deer/ bear hunt and I never see a bear there so as long as no one got him since then/ he’s still there. First one I’ve ever saw there in 3 years of hunting it.

chrislibby88

Speaking of pine log/ I had a fatty black bear come rolling down next to me the first day of this weeks deer/ bear hunt and I never see a bear there so as long as no one got him since then/ he’s still there. First one I’ve ever saw there in 3 years of hunting it.
Man it could be laid up 5 miles away by this point, or 200 yards from where you last saw it. No telling with bears.

Man it could be laid up 5 miles away by this point, or 200 yards from where you last saw it. No telling with bears.
Oh I 100% agree with ya there. Just never saw one down this way/ always further north/ people say they have saw them on alatoona WMA also but I’ve never saw them there yet but now I believe it because pine log almost borders that.

Joe Brandon

I live in Waleska essentially right behind Pine Log, we definitely have bears. Folks see them on my street relatively often, my dogs are out most of the time, at least one of them, so it keeps them away from the feed and chicks.

I have never seriously tried to hunt black bears here in Georgia. I found a bears den on a WMA last year along with some scat but never saw the animal(s). I have deer hunted most of my life but am clueless with bears. I have heard look for white oaks in September but I don’t bow hunt anymore due to an injury so gun hunting November and December is kinda what I do now. I know someone who recently got a bear while deer hunting and sparked my interest in trying to get one.

From what I understand they don’t really hibernate here but just move less during really cold spells or when food is scarce but they still move around. I’m not looking for any spots or anything cause I have a few areas Ive seen sign, just wondering how to hunt them this late in the season. Is it like deer where you focus on travel areas between food and cover? What do they eat when the acorns are gone and there’s not much out there? Are they like deer where they are active at night and your best bet is early morning and right before dark? Any tips on what to focus on or how to pattern one late in the season would be appreciated.
I wish I would've seen this earlier. December can be just as productive as September if you adjust your focus. They will be much less active so I'd focus more on finding their beds than hunting a food souce

Last edited:

chrislibby88

Not exactly sure what you mean by "setup"
It's not an ambush hunt, it's more like a western spot and stalk approach. Glass around big bowls where they're likely to bed next to a spring head and sneak up on them
Oh yea, just hunting their winter hangouts if you can find them. For some reason I pictured a dude sneaking a lock on 75 yards from a bears bed or den site lol.

Since Pinelog is being sold off there is high potential this weekend is the last hunt for big game there… that being said I guess it doesn’t matter I share my plans:ROFLMAO:

Several bears seen and one killed up there (unfortunately not by me but people I know) on the hunt in November while deer hunting. I have two deer already and so would rather focus on a bear…no matter how futile it may be. I understand all we discussed in the posts above, however I have a couple more questions. I know it will be very difficult and highly unlikely to come across one this late in the season but I know there are areas that border the WMA that have fields, and feeders out (private property hunters and hunt clubs) and I am sure the bears are visiting the corn piles just like the deer do. The trick is to figure out the route they take back to the WMA side from the food to their den and catch them moving.

Couple questions:

If you know where a den is, is it worth hunting close by to catch one coming or going from it or would a den more than likely just be used by a mama bear and cubs? (I know those are legally off limits as well as ethically not right to take)

Is it worth while to deer stand hunt a heavily used game trail high up on a ridge top back in a secluded area surrounded by private property, or better use of time to just stalk slowly through the woods into the wind peaking over ridges here and there?

Dont get me wrong, I would shoot a nice big buck if I saw one but I really would be happier shooting a nice black bear at this point. If I was to focus on deer I would hunt from a stand but I almost think for the bear I would need to be covering lots of ridges in the morning making sure to walk into the wind.

Any more advice or opinions on this or have I just asked the same dumb questions a different way than the above post? :unsure:
A den (inclosed and concealed) will more than likely be used by pregnant sows. A bed (above ground and visual) will most likely be used by a boar.

If you know where a bed is, why would you set up nearby, instead of just closing in on it and going in for the kill?

chrislibby88

A den (inclosed and concealed) will more than likely be used by pregnant sows. A bed (above ground and visual) will most likely be used by a boar.

If you know where a bed is, why would you set up nearby, instead of just closing in on it and going in for the kill?
The only beds I’ve found were unoccupied and in the early fall. I’ve checked them since and never snuck up on a sleeping bear. I’ve always tried to find places where multiple bears were feeding vs where one bear was laying, of course Im usually only chasing bears early season when food is plentiful. I was under the impression that they operated much like a buck, and rather than have ONE single bed they have a circuit of beds they use as they move around their range. They may spend a week on one ridge napping on the same rock, then move over to a drainage for a few days, etc.

Targeting a bed never seemed as reliable as setting up on a feeding area or travel corridor associated with the bed location, as you had the option of catching other animals moving through rather than the single animal using the bed. Same with deer. I never bought into the beast style bed hunting. But please, change my mind. I’ve never heard of anyone targeting bear beds, so I’m interested, and I’m sure someone else lurking the forums is interested too.

The only beds I’ve found were unoccupied and in the early fall. I’ve checked them since and never snuck up on a sleeping bear. I’ve always tried to find places where multiple bears were feeding vs where one bear was laying, of course Im usually only chasing bears early season when food is plentiful. I was under the impression that they operated much like a buck, and rather than have ONE single bed they have a circuit of beds they use as they move around their range. They may spend a week on one ridge napping on the same rock, then move over to a drainage for a few days, etc.

Targeting a bed never seemed as reliable as setting up on a feeding area or travel corridor associated with the bed location, as you had the option of catching other animals moving through rather than the single animal using the bed. Same with deer. I never bought into the beast style bed hunting. But please, change my mind. I’ve never heard of anyone targeting bear beds, so I’m interested, and I’m sure someone else lurking the forums is interested too.
Sure. You are right about hunting areas where you can see multiple animals feeding.

What I'm referring to is hunting late season in December. Their winter range is their core area. Early season (and during the summer) they're constantly moving from one area to another (the circuit you mentioned) so their beds are very temporary that time of year and it would be counterproductive to hunt those.

In the coldest days of winter they will be bedded down in their core area and that is the reason most people say that bear hunting isn't as good that time of year. You have to be hiking around and looking for them. I'm actually going out tomorrow to set some trail cams around a den, ill take some pictures of it for you. I found many other winter beds in the area last year so I'll be checking those spots as well. Hopefully I'll have some stuff to share tomorrow from my good camera. Anyways... Does that make sense?

chrislibby88

Sure. You are right about hunting areas where you can see multiple animals feeding.

What I'm referring to is hunting late season in December. Their winter range is their core area. Early season (and during the summer) they're constantly moving from one area to another (the circuit you mentioned) so their beds are very temporary that time of year and it would be counterproductive to hunt those.

In the coldest days of winter they will be bedded down in their core area and that is the reason most people say that bear hunting isn't as good that time of year. You have to be hiking around and looking for them. I'm actually going out tomorrow to set some trail cams around a den, ill take some pictures of it for you. I found many other winter beds in the area last year so I'll be checking those spots as well. Hopefully I'll have some stuff to share tomorrow from my good camera. Anyways... Does that make sense?

Oh for sure.